VetClick Discussion Forum

Feeding Advice

Posted by Ali 
Ali
Feeding Advice
May 05, 2004 07:59PM
We are looking to buy a Golden Retriever in October, I know some breeders start the puppies off on eating raw chicken wings and meat patties with vegetables, etc.
I just wondered if we did decide to change the dog's diet to dried or something that would suit he/she then would that harm them in anyway? i. e digestive system.

If you could recommend a diet that would suit this particular breed then it would be much appreciated, the only reason why Im a bit unsure about feeding them raw meat is that we have 2 children and thought that when the dog will be eating the meat it wont be very hygienic for the children, even though we are a very clean Family it just concerns me a little.
Re: Feeding Advice
May 22, 2004 07:55AM
Hi, Ali,
Sorry to have been so long in replying to you- I have been having problems accessing the server, but its OK now, I hope!
I suggest that whatever advice you may be offered about feeding chicken wings, raw meat and so on to your Golden Retriever puppy, you ignore it, and go a for a reputable commercial puppy food. The best of these are compounded after a great deal of research into a growing dog's nutritional requirements and are made from the best of materials.
Different makes provide different foods for breeds of different sizes. dependent on their different rates of skeletal growth an consequent calcium needs. Do not add extra vitamins or other supplemensts - it is all there!
Remember to ask you veterinarian about de-worming, and follw the vet's instructions very carefully about de-worming intervals, vaccinatuionm and so on.
When you go to buy your pup, ensure that you see its mother, to assess her temperament, and, if possible, its father too.
I am sure that you and your family will have many happy and enjoyable years with it.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved