VetClick Discussion Forum

Canary cough / wheeze

Posted by Mike 
Mike
Canary cough / wheeze
April 17, 2004 07:42PM

4 weeks ago I bought a cock Border canary, beautiful looking bird of high standard , it has since day one wheezed and opens it beak frequently to sneeze/ cough. It pants a lot of exhertion. I also bought a hen bird 14 days after . This hen was in very good health and seemed in breeding condition, being very flighty and perch hopping a great deal . Since the introduction she had become increasingly slow and " gone of the boil" and has now started wheezing and had laboured breathing .
A close proximity pair of Rollers have seem immune from this, the hen is sitting but the cock in full health has just started the beak opening and closing and trying to clear his throat , he trills but does not sing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have just returned to the hobby and these are my first birds.

Many thanks
Mike
Re: Canary cough / wheeze
April 18, 2004 04:37PM
Mike,
It sounds as if you have a respiratory infection in your aviary which was brought in by your recent acquisition. New birds should always be 'quarantined' for a couple of weeks in isolation. Precise diagnosis and suggestions for treatment is not possible for me to do over the 'net, but the possibilty of a virus infection which is transmissible to humans, and can caouse a serious form of pneumonia (ornithosis) cannot be ruled out, and it is important that you seek professional advice from a veterinarian who knows about birds, ASAP.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved