VetClick Discussion Forum

Possible Poisoning HELP!

Posted by jr byrd 
jr byrd
Possible Poisoning HELP!
April 16, 2004 06:19AM
My boxer is coughing/gagging 2 to 3 times per minute and seems to be trying to clear his throat or vomit. He was landscaping with us today and may have eaten something. However, he did not start this until 6 hours after he could have last been exposed to any chemicals. He may have eaten a bug or catipillar of some sort. Since he has started coughing he has wanted to eat grass continuously and has been showing a white foam along with the grasses he has been eating. He has vomitted only once which consisted of the foam and grass, possibly parts of a bug? What should I do? Thank You
Re: Possible Poisoning HELP!
April 16, 2004 08:39AM
Poisoning is unlikley, not impossible. Sounds more like a tracheitis or a "Kennel Cough" - please do not be mislead by the name. You need to see your vet this morning.

Good Luck
April 16, 2004 08:59AM
Hi, Bertie,
Take him straight to your veterinary surgery - NOW- if you have not already done so.
Walter
Worried Owner
April 14, 2005 02:07PM
My neighbour has just used a flea product on her cat which caused her cat to 'fit', she rushed her cat to the vets where it was on life support for 3 days. Then the cat was euthanased, as recovery seemed impossible. The vet then said 2 weeks later, how they had already treated 5 cats this week, after the use of flea powder products,bought from pet shops. What opinion do you have of flea products?. Are they safe to use. Are vets keeping records of veterinary products which cause pets to have life threatening reactions. I never use anything more that a flea comb. As I understand flea products are applied to the animals skin which then gets into the animals body. This would include Frontline.
Caren Edmead.
April 14, 2005 02:44PM
I noticed a flea on my pup (8 weeks old) yesterday.
I bought and gave him a flea tablet (As the sprays are all for 12 weeks and up).
He seems to be fine, however after reading this thread i am a little concerned about giving them again.
Caren.
April 14, 2005 07:44PM
Hi, Caren,
I think it possible that the tablet could be more toxic than the spray!
Your vet will supply you with a treatment which can safely be used.
Worried Owner - adverse reactions to any medicine should be reported by the veterinary surgeon on a 'yellow form' to the Veterinary Medicines Directorate' who issue ( and withdraw) licences for veterinary medical products. If your neighbour used a product licenced for cats, the correct strength and followed the instructions, and did not use more than one product at the same tkime, I am very surprised at what you tell us.
I cannot speak for 'patent remedies' - possibly unlicenced - bought from a pet shop.
Incidentally, if you are the same 'worried owner' who raised the subject of Feldmar Formula', go the web site www.rcvs.org.uk, then on the right hand side to Recent Disciplinary Hearings', then to 'Mr Lawrence Swift
( November 2004, I think. Go to 'Findings' and see what the RCVS Disciplinary Committee had to say about 'Fieldmar Formula'!"
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved