VetClick Discussion Forum

Cateracts

Posted by Pat 
Pat
Cateracts
April 09, 2004 10:42AM
My dog is now 14 years old.

She has cataracts which shine white. Two nights ago she went out in the dark and must have walked into a bush and hurt her eye, this seems better now as I bathed it 2-3 three times a day since.
As she is totally deaf I am worried about her.
Should I see about having the cataracts removed?
Her kidney function was "just OK" but “at the top of the range” last year when she had a dental operation. I have had her on a diet for her kidney since. Her weight is OK.

Re: Cateracts
April 09, 2004 01:02PM
Hi, Pat,
It is very unlikely that removal of the cataracts would help your dog to see any better. In elderly dogs, cataracts are usually the result of other changes in the eye which are untreatable.
As they get older dogs which lose their sight seem to carry a map of their surroundings in their head, and make use of other senses too to help them get around. However, the fact that she is deaf also will not help her.
I am afraid that you will just have to get used to being her 'guide dog'!
If she seems to be happy and enjoying life, I would not contemplate any drastic action at present.
Walter
Pat
Re: Cateracts
April 09, 2004 07:55PM
I think you are right. At times it hard to remember that you cannot solve everything for a valued chum.

She is happy, but her sight has got worse and that has had an effect on her. However I think she will pick up again.

I have already bought a long flexi lead for when it is needed.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved