VetClick Discussion Forum

Pyometra and lutalyse

Posted by Dina 
Dina
Pyometra and lutalyse
January 18, 2016 06:30PM
my 8 year old intact female dog was diagnosed with pyometra 2 weeks ago , she had just finished her period 2 weeks before that
her uterus was filled with a large amount of pus and there was some yellow discharge .
we decided to go with the prostaglandins (lutalyse) treatment and we took her in for her first shot , the first shot was a mistake by the vet
her gave her triple the amount she should have started with ( her weight is 6 kg ) she looked like she was dying all night
with horrible cramps and pain noises ! a good amount of discharge came out in the morning , the 2nd day shot was half of the
first day's amount and there was no discharge that day just horrible cramps and pain , the third day was the same dose
as the day b4 and this was the day the discharge just came pouring out all day ! we took her in for an unltrasound and the
uterus was alittle smaller , she wasn't eating , extremly tired and sleepy all day and it looked like her whole body hurt
so the doctor decided to skip the forth day shot , then on the 5th day when the time for the shot came which was at 10pm at night
she started cramping and making the pain noises as if she had taken it, with discharge coming out so we called the doctor
and he told us to skip that one too.
then she started taking the dose that was right for her weight once aday for 2 days and some discharge kept coming out and it was
bloody and alittle runny . she had no severe painful cramps since
then the vet told us to give her the shot every 12 hours instead of once aday for another 5 days because she has alot of pus inside still
so we did that but no discharge has been coming out for 2 whole days , just mild spotting also i've noticed that the discharge
has become very thick and today i noticed that it's color has changed back from bloody to yellowish . she has been taking
an amoxicilin shot everyday since we started the treatment
should i increase the lutalyse dose gradually until it pours out ? what if she gets those painful cramps again ? were they normal? please help as the vets in my country are not very good so
i can't risk putting her through surgery giving her age .
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved