VetClick Discussion Forum

cat with ruptured tendon

Posted by steveb 
cat with ruptured tendon
August 23, 2012 09:27AM
Good morning,

I was wondering if you could give a bit of advise. We have recently moved house and our 1 year old male cat whom can be a little nervous with new people was hiding under the bed when we had visitors and when I went to find him he panicked and ran down stairs to his room really quickly. He was bleeding and at first we thought it to be carpetburns or he had caught himself slightly. After a visit to the vets a few days laterit turned out to be a nasty cut on the top of his back right leg leading from his heal (hock joint is it called) upwards. He had an antibiotic jab and some pain killers and after a week the wound healed well. After a further week the wound has healed well but he was walking on his hocks on that leg and not putting weight on his paw. The vet after a physical examination seemed to think he bad ruptured his tendon as she couldn't feel anything on the right leg.

I left it with the vet calling a surgeon for advise and she is due to call me today. However she didn't think there would be anything they could do and he will never be able to use that leg as before and if it starts to get in the way amputation may be an option later down the line. So if this is the case Will he always walk on his hock as it does seem to be getting sore there where he is walking on it all the time? Will lack of muscle use in that leg cause Problems later? I have seen him stretch his toes slightly on that foot but is that unrelated to the tendon?

All this said apart from the leg he is moving around ok and is back to normal personality wise eating and playing and using his litter tray and doesn't seem in pain.

Thank you for your time

Steve
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved