VetClick Discussion Forum

Cat skin sores.

Posted by Elandrum 
Cat skin sores.
September 20, 2011 05:59AM
Hello Dr. Richer,
Hello everyone else,

My cat Chloe has red sores around her anus. He weighs 17 lbs and lacks the ability to properly clean herself. My wife and I try to give her a regular wash, but as most cats do, she panics. She has a very soft undercoat that obsorbs water and causes her to become uncomfortably warm. We shave her backside to help us clean her, but this does not help very much.
She and our other 2 cats are all 100% indoor cats and I do not see any fleas, ticks or other parasitic craters roaming her nether-regions. Is there a cat-safe topical ointment we can apply to the lessions? I do not want to put human products on her unless I know it is safe.
Thank you so much for any advice and/or insight you may be able to offer.
Thank you,
Eric, Karolina and Chloe
Re: Cat skin sores.
September 26, 2011 07:07AM
If the sores are due to soiling the area and her not being able to clean it then vaseline or nappy rash cream like sudocreme or zinc and castor oil cream should be safe as long as it is not caked on. Try and diet the cat and just wipe the area daily rather than wash the cat; keep the area clipped. If the area is really inflamed then 1% hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily for 3-5 days may help. If the problem persists then see your vet
Re: Cat skin sores.
September 26, 2011 01:16PM
Thank you so much Dr. Richer. The service you are providing with this forum is true altruism, which deserves praise.
Thank you so much for this advice,
Eric, Karolina & Chloe
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved