VetClick Discussion Forum

Black thing on my cat's nipple

Posted by Morag 
Morag
Black thing on my cat's nipple
June 16, 2005 07:33PM
My cat has a black thing on one of her nipples. It looks like her nipple has black specks round it (which is probably fleas/flea dirt). The black thing is also a bit grey and looks like a small lump/mole. I've tried wiping it with olive oil, but it seems hard and will not budge.

I'm worried - could this be a cancerous growth? Or is it a bad case of fleas? Or just pigmentation? (my cat's black and white, so it could be).

My cat's had it for a while - I haven't done anything about it as I'm skint and I thought it was initially just dirt.

Can you help?
Re: Black thing on my cat's nipple
June 16, 2005 08:11PM
Hi, Morag,
A black lump on a black and white cat COULD be a melanoma, and should be seen by a veterinary surgeon. It is more likely to be harmless, but it is not a channce I would advise you to take.
If you are skint, are you not within reach of a PDSA or Blue Cross Hospital?
Even your local Cat's Protection League may be able to hlp with any vet's bill.
Walter
June 16, 2005 10:17PM
If it's non malignant, often using a garlic spray daily on the lump will help.

(often helps horse sarcoids as well)
June 17, 2005 08:13AM
Hi, Morag,
Richard's advice is OK, but if it is malignant, by the time you realise that spraying it with garlic has not worked, it may be too late!
Walter
Morag
June 17, 2005 02:31PM
Thanks for replying! I was just talking about this with someone and they said I have maybe described it badly. It is more like a small spot/black head (on her nipple - which is very small). I now realise that my initial description made it sound like the lump could have been quite big. It's actually the size of a small spot.

Does that change your initial diagnosis?

Many thanks.
June 17, 2005 03:05PM
Hi, Morag,
I am less concerned now about your cat.
However, I suggest thst you keep a very close eye on it, and if it appears to be getting bigger over a period, say, of 3 - 6 months, do something about it.
Walter
Morag
June 17, 2005 06:47PM
Thank you very much Walter, I'll keep an eye on it.

All the best
Re: Black thing on my cat\'s nipple
June 17, 2005 07:28PM
What I meant was, if it is diagnosed as being non malignant, then garlic spray is useful. I totally agree that it would not be wise to give garlic - or any treatment - if there is any doubt about the malignancy of a lump.
dianapan
June 14, 2010 05:54AM
This is exactly what I see on my cat right now- Male 8 year old.
One of his nipples is elongated and has black at the ends ... It looks almost like a blackhead or pimple. Also there is black specks like dirt around the nipple.

I've googled it and a lot of people say that it is oil secretion due to hormones but I have read the random cancer/tumour post. Should I be worried?
June 15, 2010 03:14PM
This is unlikely to be serious. If in doubt get it checked out by your vet.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved