VetClick Discussion Forum

fecal test for coccidiosis

Posted by sarah 
sarah
fecal test for coccidiosis
February 19, 2004 03:25AM
hi,

Is it difficult to find coccidia in a fecal test? My dog was tested for parasites, but the test came back negative for all parasites. My puppy has been having diahera often on since we have brought her home from the breeder. I was concerned because it had blood and mucus present. The vet is treating her with albon; even though the test came back negative. This was the first fecal exam. Can a fecal exam come back negative even if the puppy is infected with coccidia ?
Re: fecal test for coccidiosis
February 19, 2004 03:03PM
Hi, Sarah,
Rather than answer your question here, (the short answer is it depends upon the stage and the severity of the infection), I suggest that you look up 'Coccidia' on the googol site. there are many excellent articles which i could noy tpossibly summarise here.
We are in the UK, where we see very little coccidiosis in dogs. Are you in the US? I know that the situation is different there.
Walter
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved