VetClick Discussion Forum

Hi, Im rather confused what to do with my A level subject choice

Posted by Janak 
Hi, Im rather confused what to do with my A level subject choice
September 04, 2008 07:21PM
Hi, Ive just started six form, and after looking a bit too deeply into vetmed courses at Uni, im rather confused at what to do!

All my GCSEs came out at A*-B, but i missed out an A grade im maths by 6 marks....

but, my subject choices this year are Chemistry, Biology, Geograhpy and Art. I think ill drop Art next year.

reading on this forum, people are advising to take 3 science subjects, but on the RVC website (http://www.rvc.ac.uk/Education/Undergraduate/BVetMed/EntryReqs.cfm) it says:

'Three subjects including Biology and Chemistry and one other subject of your choice, which does not overlap (excluding General Studies). There is no third subject which is preferred by selectors or gives any special advantage in the selection process.'

Im quite confused right now, can someone please help me? does this mean if i get required grades I want, they will allow geograhpy?
Re: Hi, Im rather confused what to do with my A level subject choice
September 05, 2008 12:07PM
Hi, Janek,

I think that the best advice is likely to come from the University where you are hoping to attend. The RVC seems to state on its website what its requirements are. Check with the other veterinay schools and see if thay are the same in them all.

W
September 05, 2008 03:39PM
Looking at nottingham, it says this:

' Required subjects: grade A in chemistry and biology (or human biology) and grade B in a third subject (excluding general studies and critical thinking) at A2 level;'

from this site - [www.nottingham.ac.uk]

at liverpool it says this:

'At least two science A levels including Biology. Chemistry A level is recommended but not obligatory. GCSE Maths, English and Physics or Dual Science (including Physics) grade B at GCSE'

website from here - [www.liv.ac.uk]

Im not too sure if it is possible to get in contact with one of these universities, and talking to them about it? I dont know if its ok to take 2 sciences only... I hope it dosn't lower my chances though!
September 05, 2008 04:16PM
Hi,
Since two sciences and at least one other subject is what they ask for, it should be OK, but I think Physics as a third subject can only be helpful - the veterinary course is very science based. Many schools, however force you to make a choice between Biology and Physics, and if that is the case you have no option but to drop Physics in place of Biology.
I am sure that there are lots of vet students reading this who can give you more up-to-date advice than I can.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved