VetClick Discussion Forum

Work Experience Help

Posted by Sophie_L 
Work Experience Help
August 04, 2008 11:04AM
I am a 14 year old girl who has always wanted to be a vet. I care about animals and am a bright student (I'm not just one of those people who thinks 'Oh I like fluffy animals so I'll be a vet').

I am going into year 10 in september 2008 and will be taking English language & litriture, Maths, Philosophy, Geography, I.T., Drama, French, History and Double/Triple Science- however I don't know which yet, hopefully I will be taking Triple because I got the highest grade possible in my NCTS/SATS (level 7).

Aswell as the compulsory week which i shall do next summer I would like to help out at a local practice or voluntary organisation during holidays and at weekends. I have already approached a few surgeries about this however due to their insurance policies they have said that they can't legally help out there until I'm 16. I also asked a Donkey Sanctury but they had no public liability insurance so my parents decided that it wouldn't be sensible.

I don't mind working at any place just as long as I get the experience I need to become a vet. So if you know of any place near the A41 between Hemel Hempsted and Aylesbury-eg, Berkhamsted that would be a good place to try and ask if I could help out there then could you please let me know.

Also could you please let me know if you think my subject options are a good choice as I can always change them if they aren't the right choices.
I'm sorry if this message is long but i really want to find out as much as I can.
Thank You
Sophie
Nicole
Re: Work Experience Help
September 17, 2008 10:55AM
Hi Sophie

Yes your GCSE options look fine, but at A level you will probably have to do biology, chemistry and maths/physics (although you don't need chemistry for liverpool). Sorry I can't help you with find places near to you as I'm from the midlands! Maybe stable experience would be a good idea at your age.

To apply for veterinary at uni you need to have appoximately the follwoing wk experience (see Liverpool's website for more details):

4 weeks at different veterinary practices
6 weeks at any of the following:
-dairy farm
-lambing
-kennel/catteries/sanctuarys
-stable

The following are not compulsory, but would be good:
-zoos/abbatoirs/labs

I think 10 weeks is a minimum for Liverpool. Hope this helps.
sophie
Re: Work Experience Help
October 22, 2008 05:10PM
thanks, i have just been given the oppertunity to work at a practice one day a week after school so i dont need any ideas at the moment, but they'll be really useful for the future. thanks for pointing me towards liverpools site, telling me the time needed at different placements is really helpful too. thanks again.
Nicole
work experience help
November 25, 2008 08:22PM
since i was about 3 i have always loved animals , and have always wanted to work with them when i leave school

i have worked at a volentery animal sanctuary , and am currently working with small animals and horses on a childrens farm.

for my work experience i wanted to work with dogs as i want to be a police dog trainer when i leave school but i dont know were to go as i am not allowed to work with the police dogs because they are vicious.
could you help?

Nicole xx
Re: work experience help
November 26, 2008 01:24PM
Hi, Nicole,

Unless you are 16 - and you do not say how old you are - you will be unlikely to find anywhere with dogs for you to become involved with because of problems with insurance and Health and Safety regulations.

If you are over 16, you might try working as a volunteer in a local animal welfare centre - RSPCA, Bluecross or, if you are in Scotland, the SSPCA.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved