VetClick Discussion Forum

Which University???

Posted by Laura772277 
Which University???
March 05, 2008 02:23PM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any idea if once (hopefully!) qualified as a vet there are any preferneces as to which university a person may have qualififed from when it comes to finding a job?

I am currently in my final year of school in Scotland and have recieved conditional offers from both Edinburgh and Cambridge to study veterinary medicine.

I was wondering if anyone knew if (as in many other subjects it often is) qualifying from the University of Cambridge over another university posed any real advantages upon finishing university??

Any help / advice would be greatly received!!!

Laura Wilson
Re: Which University???
March 05, 2008 04:11PM
Hi, Laura,

Congratulations on getting not one but TWO conditional offers! You must have impressed both schools.

I think there is very little to pick between Edinburgh and Cambridge. Both are excellent veterinary schools with very high international reputations. I can think of no job situations where a Cambridge graduate would be given preference over an Edinburgh graduate unless the person offering the job aas her/him-self a Cambridge graduate.

The Cambridge course takes an extra year more than Edinburgh.Tuition fees in Scotland are paid by the government, in Cambridge you would have to pay your own, I believe.

W
March 07, 2008 12:42AM
Thanks!
Yep the financial advantages are definitley with studying at Edinburgh!
I was just wondering as when people hear that you have offers from both Edinburgh and Cambridge but are planning on taking the place at Edinburgh (subject to obtaining the right grades of course!) you tend to receive lectures on what huge doors being a Cambridge graduate opens etc.!

Thanks for your help!
March 07, 2008 09:26AM
Hi, Laura,

That may have been the case at one time, especially with occupations like the Diplomatic corps or the civil service, but I am sure that it does not apply to the veterinary profession.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved