VetClick Discussion Forum

I've been given an offer. But they changed the entry requirements. I'm worried...

Posted by Emma Suiter 
Emma Suiter
I've been given an offer. But they changed the entry requirements. I'm worried...
January 23, 2008 11:44AM
I have just got an offer from the Royal Veterinary College in London. Seeing as I've wanted to be a vet since the age of 3, as you can imagine I am ecstactic! I do A-level biology, chemistry and physics. I am predicted A's in biology and chemistry and a b in physics. I Got AAB in my ASlevels which is good and am halfway through my A2's.

But the colleges offer has changed from the entry requirements. I thought it was A in biology, A in chemistry and B in physics or maths. But they have asked that I get A in biology and chemistry and an A in any other A level subject. I don't know what to do cause I could have so easily got an A in another a-level subject but I find physics so tricky and only EVER get average B grades in all tests and homeworks even when I'm trying my hardest. I have been receiving private lessons in my current college to help with physics but I really don't think I can get an A...
Does that mean I definitly won't get into university if I don't get the A they want?
Re: I've been given an offer. But they changed the entry requirements. I'm worried...
January 23, 2008 01:09PM
Hi, Emma,
Only the RVC can answer your question.
The pressure for places at all the UK veterinary schools is still very high, though nothing like it was 10 to 15 years ago, and the main pre-selection system used is O and A level successess. Chemistry, Physics and Biology are essential, and the standards set are very high.
I can only suggest that you get extra tuition in Physics if you feel that this is your weak subject.

W
Emma
Re: I've been given an offer. But they changed the entry requirements. I'm worried...
January 25, 2008 05:57PM
Well I've asked and they have confirmed that if physics is my third subject then that is what I must get the A in. They said even though they said any other subject, they asked for the A because they know I did physicsand that my chances of getting in with an AAB instead all depend on the results other students with offers have earned.
Thanks for your comment anyway. And yes I have already spoken to my lecturers at college and now receive extra physics homework and once a week I have an hour private physics lesson. So fingers crossed it will all pay off.

Emma
February 02, 2008 04:09PM
Good luck with the physics Emma. You sound very committed, and I hope all your hard work pays off!
It's been several years now since entry requirements to vet school changed from the hardcore Chemistry, Biology, and Maths or Physics. To be honest, I welcome this change in policy as I believe a broader education is essential for a well-balanced life! Vet school can be a bit dull, what with loads of science nerds in your class!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved