VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Vet Students

Posted by hannah_vet 
November 15, 2007 06:56PM
I have just started 6th Form after receiving my GCSE results in August.
I gained 7 A*s and 4 As and am now studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish at A level.
I only decided that I wanted to be a vet last summer and I am now panicking about work experience. So far, I have had
1 week at a public farm
3 1/2 days at a Veterinary Laboratory
1 week small vet clinic
1 week at a well respected animal charity

I hope to arrange:
hopefully 1 week at a mixed practice vet
1 week at another small vet clinic
and perhaps another week at the first small vet clinic

Between now and when I apply, I think it is unlikely that I will make it to a dairy farm (or an abattoir) as there are none that are close enough to me, will this be a problem?

I particularly enjoy working with large animals and have hugely enjoyed my times on farms.

Any other advice on what do to now would be greatly appreciated as I am worrying about whether I will need to take a gap year to make up for lost time (would prefer not to have to do this)
I have most of next summer to spend doing work experience

Universities I am interested in: Bristol, London, Cambridge and Edinburgh
these are just preliminary thoughts as I have not attended any open days yet or thought about Liverpool or Nottingham.

Extra curricular - grade 6 piano, grade 5 theory, enjoy judo, tennis and badminton

I know this seems to be an application all by itself I am asking whether I have a strong enough application and what I can do to improve my chances.

Thanks in advance
Hannah
November 16, 2007 09:27AM
Hi, Hannah,

I have replied to you seperately on the thread 'Vet Students' page 3.

W
November 16, 2007 08:24PM
Thank you! that is the first positive response i've had so far!
As for Glasgow, I meant to add that, I guess I don't have a clue at the moment. I'm only leaning towards Bristol because my brother went there, or Cambridge because it's, well, Cambridge!
That will be something I'll have to sort out next year, meanwhile, I'll concentrate on getting these A's and doing bucket loads of work experience smiling smiley
Thanks again!
Sarah68
January 25, 2008 09:25PM
Hi Hannah,
Hope this advice isn't too late!
I'd suggest you try to arrange some time at a kennels/cattery (1 week will be enough) - I did this last summer & found it really helped my ability at handling cats and dogs, and was really good fun too. Although it's quite tiring work and gets a bit tedious after a while, it does show universities that you're really dedicated!
I'd also try and get a bit of time doing some equine related work experience - e.g. a week at a stables.
Hope this helps!
Sarah xx
February 25, 2008 10:05PM
Hi again, since your reply I've gone absolutely mad trying to get work experience, so now I have (some completed, others booked):

Part-time job and permanent work exp placement at a Cattery
4 weeks small animal veterinary surgeries
1 week at a public farm
1 week at a beef(cattle) farm
2 1/2 days dairy farm
3 1/2 days at a Veterinary Laboratory
1 week at a kennel/cattery
1 week horse sanctuary
1 week at an animal charity (wildlife aid)

is there anything else you could think of that I can do? and does anyone know of a mixed practice vet in surrey or near london?
Thanks, Hannah
Sarah68
February 27, 2008 04:53PM
Hi Hannah,
Wow that's great you've arranged all of that! All I can think of is a day or two at an abbatoir, and some lambing experience if you don't have any!
Sarah xx
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved