VetClick Discussion Forum

MATURE STUDENTS / VET CAREERS

Posted by lynn_4 
lynn_4
MATURE STUDENTS / VET CAREERS
October 10, 2007 07:23PM
Hi

I'm 36 and have a place on a medical science access course which the university will accept for training to become a vet surgeon.

Does anyone know if there may be any age bias in the profession once I'm qualified ( presuming all goes well, of course!) I'm hoping that age won't matter but is this realistic? I live in the north west UK. Also, what will a realistic salary be after a few years? The only info I can find includes accommodation and the job ads require registration to view. This is something I have always wanted to do and if any feed back recieved isn't great I shall still try my best, it would just be nice to have a realistic idea of what to expect re my queries. I will really appreciate any info /advice

Thanks all in advance,

Lynn
Re: MATURE STUDENTS / VET CAREERS
October 11, 2007 07:55AM
Hi, Lynn,

Bearing in mind that the veterinary course at University lasts 5 years
( assuming no repeated years), you will be well into your forties before you start earning. There are no veterinary schools in the 'northwest' other than Liverpool, so unless you are within commuting distance of the Wirral you will have the cost of lodgings to take into consideration as well as tuition fees.
Because the veterinary course requires vacation work in animal enviroments you will not be able to earn extra money from working in University holidays. Nowadays salaries are rarely mentioned in job adverts, but they do vary quite widely. There are job opportunities in animal welfare charities, DEFRA, as wel as private practice. I do not think your age at qualification would make mush difference. For a new graduate, of whatever age, I would expect a salary of £25 to £35 K. Car and accommodation may also be provided by a practice, but not by a Charity or DEFRA.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved