VetClick Discussion Forum

Veterinary work experience over the summer

Posted by Adrienne McPartland 
Adrienne McPartland
Veterinary work experience over the summer
October 20, 2006 10:44PM
Hi,

My name is Adrienne, Im 20 yrs old and I am currently studying veterinary medicine. I am looking for a summer work placement in a veterinary practice, I am hard working and eager to learn. I would like to work in a busy mixed practice to gain maxiumum experience. If your practice is right for me please email me.
Re: Veterinary work experience over the summer
October 21, 2006 07:11AM
Hi, Adrienne,
I may help if you were to say in which country you live, and where you live. This site receives messages from all over the world.
You should also say how far you are through the veterinary course, and at which veterinary school you are studying.
W
Adrienne McPartland
October 21, 2006 07:13PM
Im currently studying in University College Dublin (UCD), in the Republic of Ireland, I have will have finished first year by the end of this year but I have a number of months of experience prior to entering veterinary college.
October 22, 2006 07:12AM
Is there any veterinary practice in Ireland who can help this student?
tom geary
October 22, 2007 05:21PM
Hi
My name is Tom and I am 16 years old living in Newark Lincolnshire.
I want to be a vet.I am bright, prepared to work hard and have a passion for animsls.
Can anyone help me with/or find local work experience or voluntary work or even casual or temporary work?
October 26, 2007 08:59AM
Hi, Tom,

If you read some of the answers I have fiven in the Vet Students part of this forum you will see what you need to do at school in order to get into a University veterinary school.
To get some experience, look up the veterinary practices in your area in the Yellow Pages and go into them and ask to talk to a vet. Do not just rely on a telephone call.

W
inka
May 25, 2008 03:45PM
Hello!! I would also like to work like Adrianne. Maybe you could help me too. I can work through all over Europe. I am a first year veterinary student in University of Agriculture in Wroclaw of Poland. My email is reni.pl@hotmail.com
Please feel free to write me.
Thank you in advance
Josh Park
July 01, 2008 03:18PM
Hi im Josh, im 17 years old and live in Essex. Im looking for any dairy work in the country as i am having lots of trouble finding a placement. Has anyone got any ideas?

thanks
Nicole Mant
September 17, 2008 10:41AM
Hi, I'm 18 years old and am re-applying to study veterinary medicine this year, as I missed my AAB offer by 3%. I already have work experience in the following areas:

5 small and mixed vets
stables
dairy +pigs/poultry
lambing
kennels
farm park
cats protection

But I am looking for something about more outlandish and interesting to make my application stand out again. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.Nicole.
leanne
Re: Veterinary work experience
November 22, 2008 05:04PM
hello,

My name is leanne and i am 16 soon. i would like to get some work experience with animals so that i have a good chance of getting into university when i appy. i have spoken to many people who have studied at veterinary university's and they have sai that if you dont have much experience with animals then you are less likely to be accepted than those who have experience. i live in liverpool in norris green. if there is anyone who can help me find a work experience it would be much appreciated or if anybody needs a volunteer at their veterinary practice, rescue centre or kennels could you please write back
Thanks xxx
November 24, 2008 06:53PM
Hello im 18 got a fair bit of work ex. but my predictions only ABB so its doubtful but im hoping to get into Nottingham! any one else?!
recently visited an abatoir which was actually really interesting!! anyone from a vet uni whats it like? is the work load hard to keep up?
thankyou!
Firas
May 25, 2009 12:34PM
Hi,

My name is Firas , Im 23 yrs old student at the second year of faculty of veterinary medicine at( Kharkiv state Zooveterinary Akademy - Ukraine ) . I am looking for a summer work placement in a veterinary practice, I am hard working and eager to learn. I would like to work in a busy mixed practice to gain maxiumum experience. If your practice is right for me please email me.
Rebecca Ornsby
June 07, 2009 05:22PM
I am currently in year 10 and I have to go to a primary school for my work experience as I had no idea where to go.
I know to get into a vet uni that you have to have lots of work experience with animals, so when is it that I should start thinking about getting work experience?
This is the only chance this year I get work experience with the school so has anyone got any advice about work experience?
Thanks.
Kirsty4
June 18, 2009 09:59AM
I'm 17 and have been trying to get work experience since I was in year 10. I ended up going to horse riding stables for my work experience through school because insurance can be a nightmare when you try to go to vet practices to observe. So it can be helpful if you have contacts with people who own farms and things like that because they will often go that extra bit further to enable you to be able to go and get some work experience.
You might also find it quite difficult to get any experience until you are 16 because that's the general age when insurance can be obtained to go on work placements.
Also, you should try and get experience with a range of animals so farm animals as well as cats and dogs. This will then show unis won't be scared of them as you will have had the previous experience.
I hope this has given you some useful information and if you have any other questions to ask I will try to answer them.
Craig
July 27, 2009 07:26PM
Hi rebecca,
I'm in yera 11 now and have filled my summer up with lots of work experience. If you know you want to even try for vet medicine then start getting work experience NOW!!! I only have this summer and next summer till I have to apply, so you have this summer next summer and the summer after... totalling about 20 weeks to get 10 weeks (at least) work experience. If you dont do anything this summer then thats only 14 weeks to get 10 weeks.... so start as soon as you can, half terms are good because coursework is manageable in yr 11.
Good luck smiling smiley
Craig
Bman
Re: VET CPD CD's
September 11, 2009 03:33PM
Re: VET CPD CD's

Hi

Please can someone furnish me with contacts where I can purchase used CPD CD's on different topics in Veterinary medicine and thereby learn various subjects.
These could include for example - approach to case solving, taking one through various stages of history,exam,laboratory,etc
Or one that gives brief lectur and then followed by an interactive quiz.

Thank you.

Bman
Kristen Yoder
October 13, 2009 01:35AM
Hey,
My name is Kristen Yoder. I am a 20 years old and third year pre-vet major at Penn State University located in the United States. I was just looking into any internship/paying jobs that would be open anywhere in the UK; preferrably in Ireland. I want a chance to travel as well as to experience a different culture while gaining more experience in the field. This might be a long shot but I thought the posts looked interesting and decided to take a chance. Any advice would be welcome and I wish everyone luck.
Harriet McAuslan
November 22, 2009 02:26PM
Hi!
My name is Harriet McAuslan. i am in year 10. in the week starting 28th June 2010 i have school work experience week. I have always loved animals and wanted to be a vet. I will be 15 when i have my work experience. i need somewhere animal related i can go. i have been horse-riding for 8 years and have a number of rabbits and guinea pigs and a dog. if anyone knows of anywhere i could apply then please let me know!
thanks
sam smith
January 19, 2010 04:10PM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> My name is Adrienne, Im 20 yrs old and I am
> currently studying veterinary medicine. I am
> looking for a summer work placement in a
> veterinary practice, I am hard working and eager
> to learn. I would like to work in a busy mixed
> practice to gain maxiumum experience. If your
> practice is right for me please email me.
Lucie Holzer
March 16, 2011 12:27PM
Hi
I am sixteen and hoping to study Veterinary medicine; I am currently looking for work experience at a veterinary surgery, or any other work experience working with animals, over any of the school holidays or at weekends. I live in North London and my post code is NW3.
I would consider traveling anywhere in London. Can anyone help?
Lucie
Natacha Fournier
March 25, 2011 04:54PM
Hi!
I am 19 and I am a French student girl in Biology. I am not in veterinary school, but I would like to be, and I am seeking veterinary summer experience. I never worked there before, but I worked in some French riding school. I can go anywhere in United States.
If someone has infomations, let me know!
Thanks for your help

Natacha
Christine Starina
March 26, 2011 12:28PM
Hello,
My name's Christine, I'm 19 and study in Moscow State Academy of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology, Russia. I'm third year at the Vet faculty. Please tell me: is it possible to find a place for summer practice? I mean education and practical skills in our country are not bad but old-fashioned, there's no way to learn modern technique. And I'd like to combine vet practice and my English practice. Maybe not this summer but the next one, in 2012. Is it possible? And where to start a research?
All kinds of advice are welcome. And thank you.
Christine
Antonia
April 19, 2011 04:23PM
hello,

My name is Toni and i am 15 soon. i would like to get some work experience with animals so that i have a good chance of getting into university when the time comes. I have always wanted to work in the animal profession but haven't a clue were to get some work experience. I am also looking for any voluntary work that I can get into mainly for the experience but also because I enjoy being around animals. I live in Liverpool in Hunts Cross. if there is anyone who can help me find work experience it would be much appreciated or if anybody needs a volunteer at their veterinary practice, rescue centre or kennels could you please write back or email me
Thank you, Toni x
Justyna
May 15, 2011 07:24PM
Hey,
i am also studying veterinary medicine and would be interesed in any summer work experience, preferaby in England ? Would you be maybe able to help me to find something?
elise-san
May 29, 2011 05:35PM
I just wanted to advise everyone who's looking for work experience that you'll have better chance to contact directly veterinary clinics if you want to find some work placement.
I contacted lots of veterinary clinics in US, by email, and had a lot of positive answers!
Good luck everyone!
June 20, 2011 07:29AM
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> My name is Firas , Im 23 yrs old student at the
> second year of faculty of veterinary medicine at(
> Kharkiv state Zooveterinary Akademy - Ukraine ) .
> I am looking for a summer work placement in a
> veterinary practice, I am hard working and eager
> to learn. I would like to work in a busy mixed
> practice to gain maxiumum experience. If your
> practice is right for me please email me.

Hi Firas,

It seems that you really need a job right now. And I'll definitely let you know if such thing comes into my notice. Until then I would suggest you to try some work in laboratories for developing medicine. I believe you must have one laboratory in your locality at least. If not try for some private practice in a general physician's , surgeon's , diagnostician's or pharmacist's clinic. This will give you relevant experience also. At the end you can also contact a hospital to answer or treat emergencies in a part time basis.
Barry m
June 23, 2011 07:32PM
Hi
I'm 16 and live in ireland. I'd really like to be a vet and love animals. Is there any veterinary practice i could get work experience in? I'm bright and a really hard worker. Could anybody help me????
Barry.
Holly Norton
Re: Veterinary work experience over the summer or weekends
August 26, 2011 07:01PM
Hello, I am based in Lincolnshire, 15 years old and have just got an A* Biology G.C.S.E. and I am looking for placements which will help me with the 16 weeks experience required to study Veterinary Science. I have spoken to Cambridge and Nottingham, and have a reasonable idea of what I need to succeed.

I have done some work experience on sheep and I keep horses, poultry and sheep.

I have experience lambing and docking.

I am sensible and mature, willing to learn and articulate.

If you have any advice where I can find extra work experience to help my application in a few years, please let me know.

Thanks
Debbie1985
September 08, 2011 07:41PM
Hi. My name is Debbie. I am 26 years old. I have always wanted to train as a Veterinary Nurse, but unfortunately was not able to sit my GCSE'S at school and so left with none. This has made it very hard for me to get into a College/University but is something I really want to do as a career and don't want to give up on. At the moment I am not working in the animal care industry and have tried to get work placements/ volunteer placements with no luck because I have no qualifications or experience, apart from being raised with many types of animals. I just wondered if I could get some advice to see if there is any way that I could ever train as a Veterinary Nurse or things that might help or if I have no hope as I do not have GCSE'S etc and am not being accepted for work placements or college placements because of that reason
Shannon
October 17, 2011 05:57PM
Im 16 years old and studying my A-levels I need some volunteer placements. Does anyone know of any volunteer placements in the west minlands, uk? I'd be grateful for any help even if its just an idea as to something i could look into.

thanks in advance Shannon.x.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved