VetClick Discussion Forum

Getting to do more as a vet student?

Posted by Rachel Jones 
Rachel Jones
Getting to do more as a vet student?
September 15, 2011 06:12PM
Hello,

I am a final year veterinary student in the UK. I would really like to develop my skills as best as possible and be ready for real-word veterinary practice. Unfortunately I am finding that at many of my placements I am not being given the opportunity to further my practical and surgical skills. I do not believe that this is due to my incompetence as I'm often told that I do a good job when I do get this opportunity.

I am happy to ask the supervising vet to practice more surgery however I am afraid of appearing too pushy - has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice on how to go about asking?

Unfortunately, I have not managed to secure any placements at the RSPCA and I know that they are often more willing to let students develop their skills.

Rachel
Re: Getting to do more as a vet student?
September 17, 2011 05:11AM
Part of the problem may be you have been unlucky with the vets you have seen practice with as some don't like teaching or aren't very good at it. Personally I like teaching and enjoy having students but some students stand there gawking and never ask questions and after a while I can't be bothered with them if they do not put some effort in themselves. My advice is be pushy, ask sensible questions, examine the patients in the kennels and while the vet is talking to the owners in the consult room, get the nurses to show you how to do things as a good nurse is worth 3 poor vets! Discuss cases you have seen with the vet over lunch or in the car and read up about them in the evening to re-inforce your knowledge. Offer to scrub in for all ops so at least you can have a poke around inside and learn about the tissues. Oh, and don't be superior and think that cleaning kennels is beneath you and make sure you can make a good cup of tea!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved