VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by A.Nicole 
A.Nicole
March 29, 2010 06:42PM
Hi,
Ive done a lot of research into becoming a vet, I aspire to be a surgeon and i have been working really hard to gain substantial grades to be considered at top universities. I am currently studying AS level biology chemistry maths and english literature & language. I intend to continue studying maths biology and chemistry, and i am confident that i will meet the required grades for maths and biology and even english if i was to continue studying it till A2, but chemistry i really seem to struggle with often getting C's and D's. I hope to gain an overal B grade by the end of A2 but from reading university websites I am aware that the minimum required grade for chemistry is often an A and even sometimes an A* ( cambridge). Is there any other alternative routes you could suggest in order to gain entrance my desired course at uni? Or is there a possibility that i could be considered with a B?
Thanks

Amy
March 30, 2010 08:00AM
Hi,

The combinationm of Chemistry, biology and Physics or Maths at A level is essential, and A or A* grades are desirable, and Chemistry is particularly important.
However, if you only get a B, and you are called for interview, emphasise your dedication and give full details of any experience you have had in a veterinary practice, on a farm, in a stables etc.
If you achieve only a C in Chemistry, I think it is very unlikley that you would be offered a place. Can you afford to have a tutor to bring up your Chemistry?

W
M.G.
May 22, 2010 09:39AM
Are maths and physics essential at A-level or can I do Biology, Chemistry, English and Theology?
May 22, 2010 10:41AM
You will need another science subject as well as Chemistry and Biology at Alvel, such as Physics
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved