VetClick Discussion Forum

Awkward Situation!

Posted by Loulou15 
Awkward Situation!
March 24, 2010 01:47AM
Hi,

I am currently a student of Egyptology and Ancient History at the University of Wales, Swansea. Although i love my degree topic, i find myself pulled back to my original plan of becoming a Veterinary Surgeon, or at least having a career in that area. However I am now approaching my third year of my undergraduate degree and of course it would be a waste to remove myself from it now. My partner and I are looking to move to Australia after we graduate in 2011, so i was hoping to study Veterinary Medicine at the University Of Melbourne. Having looked into this (and awaiting a reply from the faculty) the easiest option for me is to do a graduate degree 'Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM). However i am unsure whether my out of topic degree will count for anything and they will let me do a prostgrad in this area??!! I understand it is not biological science in orientation, but as I am on for a 1st in my degree, surely this shows my ability to adapt to degree level. I am currently going to do a home learning course in A-level Biology, is there anything else i would need or that is recommended? I have procured a place at my local safari park as a volunteer over the summer and I am also hoping to complete an Animal Care Diploma as well as a Level 3 Animal Care Award (I will also receive a level 3 NCFE Award certificate of achievement, meaning it is the equivalent to A-levels). What else can i do, if anything? Do you think my chances are slim?

Any help is very much appreciated,

Thank you

Louise Roberts
Re: Awkward Situation!
March 24, 2010 08:16AM
Hi, Louise,

I cannot personally help you here, but I have posted your message for others to read who may be able to offer some advice.

W
March 24, 2010 03:32PM
Hi Walter,

Thank you for your prompt reply, its a shame you can't advise in this matter and i really hope somebody can! Just an update, as it seems a necessity to complete a Bachelor of science, my only option is home study/distance learning as i want to finish my current degree but to also have achieved the required qualifications to enable me to get on to the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine graduate program within the maximum time frame of 2 years. This is because i graduate in 2011, and my partner and i want to move to Australia shortly after then so it would be nice to be have completed my BSc in science by this time. I have found that the open university enables a student to (push through) this degree in 2-3 years(i'm hoping 2). Will this degree still be widely accepted? I can't see why not as it is still a bachelor of science it is just not at a static university.

Thank you
March 24, 2010 05:10PM
Hi,

I believe that an OU degree has the same status as any other university degree.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved