VetClick Discussion Forum

Veterinary qualifications: IB!?

Posted by Eclipse 
Veterinary qualifications: IB!?
February 14, 2010 04:41PM
Hiya, I'm a Brit, who obviously loves animals, but has been living in Switzerland virtually my whole life.
I'm in an International school, where the diploma offered is the International Baccalaureat, or the IB. It's a two year programme that goes from grade 12 to 13, which is the year you graduate. I've completed grade 12, but due to a medical problem, I'm taking a break right now and am not in school at all. I will be returning to school in September, as a 13th grader.
I'd like to be a vet in the UK eventually, but I don't know what subjets I absolutely HAVE to take in order to get into a vet school or the equivalent (I don't exactly know how you become a vet...).
Even though it's a 2 year programme, you are allowed sometimes to change subjects between 12th and 13th.
I hope somebody has become a vet student through the IB, 'cause I really need help!
My present subjects are (or they were in grade 12, and they will be come September):

Higher Biology
Higher German
Higher Music

Standard English A1
Satndard Geography
Mathematical Studies (the lowest level of difficulty offered)

I think I need chemistry, but there's no way I think I can catch up the year I missed if I were to take this subject from now on.

Is there a course AFTER the IB I can take to get me ready for vet school?

Thanks for all your help, it's always been my dream to take care of animals for a living!

Mia
Re: Veterinary qualifications: IB!?
February 14, 2010 05:31PM
Hi,
There is great pressure on the available places at UK vet schools, but a number of -laces are reserved for overseas students - but the fees are very high!

As for subjects, Chemistry, Biloogy and Physics or Maths at Advanced level and A or A* grades are essential even to be considered for a place.
There are veterinary schools st the universities of London, Cambridge. Bristol, Nottingham Livwerpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I suggest that you write to all of them and ask what the IB requirements are, and the fee structure for overseas students.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved