VetClick Discussion Forum

I Want To Be A Veterinary Nurse What Options Shall I Take?

Posted by Carlie 
Carlie
I Want To Be A Veterinary Nurse What Options Shall I Take?
February 11, 2010 04:29PM
Hi, Im Carlie Im 13 and im in yr 9 i have just been given my options booklet and ever since i was a little girl ive wanted to work with animals and have come to my conclusion to become and Veterinary Nurse. I am just wondering what options do i definalty need to take?

I am also going to try and go to Kingston Maurwood once a week to try and get a diploma in Animal Care , would that improve my chances ?

Any advide would be great thank you (:
Re: I Want To Be A Veterinary Nurse What Options Shall I Take?
February 11, 2010 05:05PM
Hi, Carlie,

Write to :
Department of Veterinary Nursing
Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
62/64 Horseferry Road,
London SW1 2AF

and ask for any informaton they can give you about veterinary nursing.

W
Carlie
February 14, 2010 09:38PM
Thank you x i will write to them as soon as possible (:
February 15, 2010 10:15AM
Hi, carlie,

If you have raised your sights from VN to veterinary surgeon you must write to the Admissions Departmens at the University veterinary schools - you will get their addresses from the internet if you google the universities. They are London -(the Royal Veterinary College), Cambridge, Nottingham, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

W
skye
March 17, 2011 03:31PM
Hi im skye im 13 and in year 8 ive just been given an option booklet and i was wondering what i need to do?

please help it would change my life :]
JoanJasper
March 29, 2011 01:22PM
You can either pursue the apprenticeship route which will take you onto a work based course where you'll gain the relevant qualifications in a hands on setting; or you can go for a university degree at one of the above mentioned uni's. Both are a means to an end but the former is best if you want to get straight into the business of healing animals and the latter is if you are more academically minded and wouldnt mind 4 years of expensive study and maybe going on to conduct research.
Larnie
June 15, 2011 07:50PM
Hey girls. I'm only 16 and i'm already training to be a VN. Here's what you have to do.
First of all you need to find a vets, you need to help out every sat or whenever you can. They may not pay you but trust me, i've been working for my vets for free for 7 months before they even thought about giving me a job! so get on in there!
Secondly you need to try very hard on your GCSEs and get nothing less than 5 C-A* in english,maths and science.
After that you need to write to as many vets as you can offering to become a trainee VN.
If they take you on, you will train for three years, get paid and do four days a week and 1 day a week college with them.
If you can't find a place don't worry, go to Kingston Maurward and get some other experiences under your belt.
KEEP TRYING! and a word of advice. . . think before you act with animals, stay polite and also offer to help with anything!
Other than that. Good luck!
Brooke ...
October 13, 2011 07:23AM
Hiya i am 13 and am in year 9...
i have always wanted to be a veterinary nurse and want to work with animals ....
could you help me with what options i should take , do you no if theres any infomation you can give me?
i am thinking of taking a short coarse at myerscough collage next year... i have good experience with horses as i have my own will that help me for a better chance ....??? do i have to go to uni or can i do it all at myerscough as its near by ...xxsmiling smiley thanks very much , brooke x
October 26, 2011 12:50PM
hey I'm Rebecca I'm 13 I am taking my options in a couple of months and I do not know what options i need to take or what grades i need to become a veterinary nurse any information would be really helpful smiling smiley
jade xx
October 03, 2012 03:06PM
helloo,
i am 13 years of age and i am in year 9 and i will get mt options booklet in 85 school days.
ever since ii was a little girl i wanted to work with animals i have experiance ive been to work in a few 4/ 5 times ful days and they said i was good at what iw as doing.. would the help me get in?but what options should take and what experance will i need? to get in?

Thank-you
Jade
October 05, 2012 12:38PM
Hi Jade

To start with you need to aim for getting at least 5 GCSE level Grade 'C's or above to include Maths, Science and English. You also should try and get some further animal related work experience which I would hope your school could help you with in year 10. Also have a look online at www.bvna.org.uk in the careers section which tells you lots more about the veterinary nursing career and entry requirements for the various courses. Good luck.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
shannon
October 13, 2012 03:43PM
I am currently in year 11 and am choosing colleges i would like to do A levels incase i changed my mind at a later date i was wondering to become a veterinary nurse do i have to do A level maths because if i dont then i dont particularly want to do it smiling smiley any help would be good these are the subject i want to do
chemistry
biology
phsycology
something else
October 13, 2012 05:53PM
Hi Shannon,

No I dont believe you need Maths A level but science subjects help a lot. Your choices sound pretty good. Do check out www.bvna.org.uk to see exactly which course you might want to follow to beome a veterinary nurse. There's a number of different options available, studying at degree level or diploma level in veterinary nursing.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Leah
October 26, 2012 03:52PM
Hi guys.

I'm currently 13 and in year 9 and i should be taking my options in a few months after Christmas (i would've thought) and i'd LOVE to have the chance of working with animals - preferably a Veterinary Nurse. Also, i'd love to take this into the Armed Forces for the experience and to be a Vet Technician would be amazing. I believe that a Nurse and Technician is the same thing only one is a general term and another the military term.

I've been thinking a lot about this recently as my hamster had to be put to sleep because of an illness she had called Pyometra. Ever since that happened, I've really got hyped about it and have been thinking of option choices and things like that a bit more in depth.

What I've been thinking is:

- Small animal care (if it is available for me to take) or Equine.
- Biology and Chemistry (separate science if i am eligible for it)
- Physical Education (for the Army training maybe)

Not too sure if they are the greatest option choices but that's just what I'm thinking right now. I've got a few months to think about it anyway but would still love to hear back from you. In my school we're only able to take 3 options, that's why I only stated 3 above.

For my work experience I've been talking to my dad about this and have been trying to decide between Pets at Home or an actual Veterinary Surgery. Going to a Vet Surgery would be great but I'd love to work at somewhere like Pets at Home, for instance. Either or would be great.

I'd love to hear your views of this given reply to the forum and would like to hear from a professional side of it.

Cheers!

Leah x
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved