VetClick Discussion Forum

Major influences and govering bodies that effect a vet practice.

Posted by Matt Garner 
Matt Garner
Major influences and govering bodies that effect a vet practice.
February 06, 2006 12:34PM
If anyone can help, it would be most helpful!, I am studying for a foundation degree in animal science and need to know what kind of Major influences and govering bodies effect a vet practice, and how they effect it. If anyone can help I will be most grateful.
Re: Major influences and govering bodies that effect a vet practice.
August 02, 2006 05:03PM
Hi Matt, what is it you need to know? Governing bodies such as the RCVS, have little influence in practice as they have very little power and do not (by law) regulate the industry.
The VMPA is only there for networking and generally just full of hot air. Sadly there are no qualifications for practice management, such as degrees ect. The VMPA do a course but it is pretty wet, and has major flaws in the knowledge that they require which is why the can not get it acreddited to NVQ or HND ect.
BSAVA are very good at promoting education, they publish great books, and pretty much set the standard for CPD.
Generally speaking the veterinary press is where most practitioners get there knwledge from
Re: Major influences and govering bodies that effect a vet practice.
August 03, 2006 07:53AM
Hi, Matt,
I do not know where 'thevet' gets his information from, but to say that the RCVS has ' very little influence in practice as they (sic) have very little power and do not (by law) regulate the industry' could not be more wrong.
The RCVS, by virtue of the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1968 does have the authority to regulate the industy - though I would prefer tp call it a profession.
Th RCVS has significant input into the content of veterinary education, at veterinary schools in the UK and also overseas where there are 'affiliated' veterinary schools whose degrees are recognised by the College for registration as RCVS, without which their graduates may not practice in the UK.
The RCVS has the ability to remove any member's name from the register for 'professional misconduct' which can cover a variety of offences.
Continuing professional development is widely available from a wide range of sources and eventually will become mandatory, and to say that most practitioners get their knowledge from the veterinary press is stepping back in time about 20 years!
Where have you been, 'thevet', all this time?
Walter Beswick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2006 12:18PM by Walter Beswick.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved