VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: becoming a vet

Posted by dad 
dad
February 05, 2010 01:07AM
hi my daughter wants to be a vet when she gets older shes 14 ,options time. science core subject ,she is above average in all her subjects what options are good to take to get her to the next level ie history ,french ,itc,art,geography,drama,textiles,graphics,resistant materials and media if you can put them in best order thanks for your help from england
February 05, 2010 08:50AM
Hi,

Your daughter will ned Chemistry, Biology and Physics ( or Maths) at A level, at A or A* grades, to be considered for entry into a veterinary school, so she should stick with those,
GCSE they should be balanced with a modern language and a selection of Arts subjects - English, French, History, Geography, Art etc.

W
dad
February 05, 2010 03:17PM
hi again thanks for your help its a shame schools have changed since we went to school as these days its only science as a whole, not split you cannot even take them as individual options like i did.You get your core subjects like maths, english,science,pe,re ect. Then you have to pick 4 other subjects ie music,history,geography,hair and beauty,child development ect[no science subjects] or 1 big one ie environmental and land based studies,which looks like the sort of thing you mite need to become a vet but you then cannot take history french ect I think this is why you have had so many messages on this point as i spoke to her teachers and even they did not know the good subjects to take to give the best possible start on the road to being a vet they all said different as it was easy before you just took biology ,chemistry, ect at options time and i think to many people[children] are unsure now as if you take environmental studies you lose all other subjects apart from your core and you mite need say geography gcse to get into the next stage at 16 if you want to direct other people to this message as hopefully it will help them and save yourself some time as looking at the other messages it wasn't made clear to you as things have changed since we went to school thanks again for your help
February 06, 2010 08:52AM
Hi,

for an authoritative answer you should really enquire of the Admissions Secretary at the University Veterinary School where your child would like to attend.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved