VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet

Posted by Dawn 
Dawn
November 13, 2009 10:21PM
Hi My daughter is doing her AS levels at the moment she got 10 gcse's A's and B's and has taken Biology, English Language, sports science and Psychology and is predicted good grades.

Not sure yet which uni she will apply to for Vetinary prob Liverpool or Nottingham, but her psychology teacher really is awful and cant teach, she is dropping the subject should she still be ok with 3 a levels all set to be a's and b's? Any help would be appreciated and in your opinion which is the best uni? Thank you
November 14, 2009 08:36AM
Hi, dawn,

I think that your daughter has been badly advised in hr choice of AS subjects.
To the best of my knowledge all the UK vet schools require Chemistry, Biology and Physics or Maths at A grade A levels to be even considered for a place. The pressure of applicants for all the UK vet schools remains very high. It is not really a question of deciding which university she wishes to attend - it is which will offer her a place on the results she achieves.
Extracurricular activities at this stage in her career will also count for a lot if she is invited for interview.

Good luck to her.

w
Dawn
December 05, 2009 11:40PM
Thank you for your advice i think you are right she has been very badly advised and now looks like her dream will not be made into a reality because of it. Which is a huge blow as since the age of 5 she has always been insistant this is what she want to do.
She is going to have to look at something like zoology instead, i just wish careers advisors knew the facts of what they are advising, it makes my blood boil knowing she will now miss out because of it, the only way for her to do it now is to take the relevent a levels once she has finished the ones she is doing then she can go to college to get the rest she needs which will set her back 2 years all because someone advised her very badly. Thank you so much for your advise though it is really useful
Cheers
Dawn
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved