VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet Medicine abroad - harder to find employment in the UK?

Posted by martinskye 
Vet Medicine abroad - harder to find employment in the UK?
August 17, 2009 09:02AM
HI,
I was thinking about studying Vet Medicine at the university of Kosice in Slovakia. Their course is RCVS approved and every bit as challenging as the UK courses. Their condition for entrance is based on an entrance exam.
I was wondering whether you knew if I would find employment in the UK more difficult to find should I study abroad in Kosice?

Thanks
Re: Vet Medicine abroad - harder to find employment in the UK?
August 17, 2009 11:48AM
Hi,

I may be wrong, but I do not think that the veterinary course at Kosici is recognised, by the RCVS in the same way that the UK, Australian, American and South African ones are, whose standards have to be approved by the RCVS if their graduates are to be registered as MRCVS, essential if one wishes to practise in the UK.
Graduates of European veterinary schools have to be recognised in the UK under the Treaty of Rome, but the RCVS has no input into the standards of teaching.
I would not expect a veterinary graduate from one of these schools to be afforded the same standing as one from a school whose standards are not approved by the RCVS.

W
ecd11239
February 15, 2010 09:42PM
Walter that's rubbish.
The RCVS actually recommend Kosice (maybe you were reading about a different establishment in KOsici?) as a commendable non - uk vet. med. faculty...
February 16, 2010 08:46AM
ecd11239,

Thank you for your courteous contribution. Clearly my knowledge of the EU is out of date.
Nevertheless, I suspect that an Australian, South African or UK graduate would find better job opportunities in the UK than woud a Slovakian., and that was the thrust of the original question.
Incidentally, I do not think that the RCVS would RECOMMEND Kosice, although they do RECOGNISE it as is required by the Treaty of Rome.

W
HannahKate
March 10, 2010 08:35PM
They do actually recommend it. I study in Kosice and I asked the RCVS before I went what they thought of it and if they would recommend it and they said yes. This has been verified by other students here who did the same. So maybe not officially but on a one to one level they do. Noone who has qualified here and gone to England has had any trouble at all finding jobs. There are several English and a couple of Scandinavians who have done this and all found jobs very fast. I really don't see it as a problem. Vets that I have talked to say that they have heard that the practical experienced gained out here is better than in the UK so it has that to recommend it.
March 11, 2010 09:41AM
Hi,

I am very surprised to hear that the RCVS RECOMMENDS Kosice veterinary school and I suggest that you verify this statment with the Registrar before repeating it..

The RCVS has to accept as MsRCVS graduates of veterinary schools situated in the EU whose degrees are 'registrable' with the RCVS for practicing as veterinarians in the UK. This is a requirement of UK membership of the EU.

That is not the same 'approval' procedure that veterinary schools in South Africa, Australia have to undergo. They are visted regularly by RCVS Inspectors who make sure that their standards reach those required by the RCVS.

W
HannahKate
March 12, 2010 07:59PM
Hi Walter,
I totally understand what you are saying and I did my homework before going abroad (to escape graduate fees) and realise that all EU degrees have to be recognised but I spoke to people at the RCVS and so have others and all have heard that Kosice is fine when we asked if the degree was actually any good or not (not just whether they would have to register us). I am sure there are many better vet schools out there but it's not a bad one and people say that the graduates are good practical vets. If someone is looking for a 4 year graduate vet course in English and can't afford to study in the UK as a graduate then I think it is a good option.
Hannah
March 13, 2010 09:44AM
Hi, Hanna,

God luck! I hope all goes well for you.
If you would like to tell us more about the course I would be happy to post it.

Walter
Freda Andrews
March 15, 2010 09:44AM
Just to confirm what Walter says - RCVS is obliged, under the EU Directive on recognition of professional qualifications, to register graduates from Kosice if those graduates have 'community rights' (ie - for most people, that means if they are a citizen of another EU member state). And, as Kosice's degree can be studied in English, it is therefore an option for some students to consider. However, we do not actively 'recommend' (in the sense of 'promote') this degree course. It's a matter of personal choice for the individual. If anyone asks us, we'll explain its status, and suggest they may want to look into it (as well as others) if they can't find a place on a course that is fully RCVS approved (such as those in the UK, Australia, New Zealand & South Africa). We do, however, advise that anyone considering studying in an EU country outside the UK should consult the list of EAEVE approved veterinary schools. EAEVE undertakes evaluations of all European schools using the same criteria as RCVS, and publishes its list on its website - www.eaeve.org. Kosice was EAEVE approved a number of years ago, but is currently not listed as approved. [www.eaeve.org]
March 15, 2010 11:00AM
Hi, Freda,

Many thanks for your contribution and explanation. Advice from the top is always best!

Walter
liz2013
August 27, 2013 08:19AM
Kosice has been fully approved by EAEVE since 20th April 2011
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved