VetClick Discussion Forum

Day One Skills

Posted by Kimberly 
Kimberly
Day One Skills
August 03, 2009 02:14PM
Hi,

Looking to ask a question of any vets floating around. I am soon to be a final year vet student and was reading the literature on the RCVS website about day one skills. All very technical...

What I want to know is from a more personal point of view, for a new graduate in your practice what would you expect of them and how much time is acceptable to adjust to working life or are you expected to hit the ground running? Theory and practice seem worlds apart to me at the moment, just wondering if I am holding myself to too high expectations. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Kim
Re: Day One Skills
August 03, 2009 02:31PM
Hi,

During your first year in practice there should be a good deal of 'hand-holding' , not just for your benefit, but for the good of the practice and its clients!

You will be surprised - pleasanatly, I hope - how in the final year all the stuff which has gone before falls into place,and your confidence will grow.

Godd luck!

W
Kimerberly
August 03, 2009 02:47PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, you are right, everything has started to fall into place especially this last year and hopefully it will continue for the next. It's just looking at the year ahead and how quickly the last has gone, it suddenly dawns on you that you have a deadline to become competent by (jk).

I guess what I really want to know is whether in week one I am expected to consult alone, or whether there is a period of direct supervision that most practices keep to.

Regards,
Kim
August 03, 2009 03:23PM
Hi,

The degree of supervsion and 'hand-holding' will vary from practice to practice, and you must ask when you go for interview exactly what will be expected of you and how much help you will be given.

W
Kimerberly
August 03, 2009 03:37PM
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. It's fantastic to be able to access someone to answer questions like these, it is appreciated.

Kim
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved