VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Mature student application - please help

Posted by Antonia Lestner 
Antonia Lestner
June 02, 2009 12:05PM
Hi Melanie and Walter,

I am in a similar position; 33 year old Medicinal Chemist with a 1st Class degree in Chemistry & LOADS of work experience! I got to 'reserve' for the 'vet med' course at Cambridge twice but goal-posts keep changing and I have now been told to redo my A levels! Feeling too old to go through that again just to try and get in to the only 2 UK universities I can afford (Cambridge have told me not to bother again leaving me with RVC and Nottingham) so I am currently investigating Pretoria, South Africa (degree recognised by RCVS, £26K for all 6 years including tuition, accommodation and food!). Academically they have said I am absolutely fine so it is all a question of going through the formal application process; big decision though - dodgy country!!!

Would you consider this Melanie!?

My 'crunch' question to Walter is: Do you think the average vet practise will favour a younger UK vet graduate over a 39 year old who has graduated in South Africa? Am I mad to even consider S. Africa?

Kind Regards,

Antonia.
June 05, 2009 01:04PM
Hi, Antonia,

South African graduates find no difficulty in getting jobs in the UK, and maturity is definitely no disadvantage!.
I have visited the veterinary school in Ondoorstepoort, amongst others, and in my opinion it ranks among the best in the world.

W
June 17, 2009 07:56AM
Dear Walter,

Many thanks for the encouraging reply; it is much appreciated :-)

Kind regards,

Antonia.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved