VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: becoming a vet

Posted by Daniela 
Daniela
March 04, 2009 02:01AM
Hello from US!
I'm about to finish High school in May and I wish to be a vet but in the UK.
I do plan getting my bachelor's in pre-veterinary medicine in USF.
However, I want to move to the UK shortly after that. I have also already looked into the University of Bristol.
I'm planning on moving there and not attending school for a while though to hopefully be considered as a home student because international tuition is too much. I read I must live there for 3 years prior to my application as a non-student to be considered a home student.
What are the requirements needed to go into the veterinary medicine program? Will my bachelor's in pre-vet be accepted?

And I also wanted to ask, do you need to go to postgraduate school? I heard all you need is a degree with is the equilvalent to a bachelor's in the US.

(Also, I have been reading the previous posts and I had to ask, what are the A levels? I read you need physics, chemistry, and biology. I took those in high school. Are the A-levels like a college degree? Sorry about being so ignorant. I'm new to the UK education system)

Thanks smiling smiley
Daniela
March 04, 2009 01:26PM
Hi,
Daniela,

You will really have to ask the University of Bristol if your American qualifications will get you acceptance into the Veterinary School there. I am not able to give you that information.
The UK veterinary course lasts five years, and the course leads to graduation as a Bachelor in veterinary medicine, science etc. It is the equivalent of a DVM in the US, since in the UK a Doctorate is always a second degree, never a first.
'A' levels are external examinations taken in the final year at school - presumably the equivalent of High School in your country. In the UK 'College' is a tertiary educational establishment.
W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved