VetClick Discussion Forum

Mature student application - please help

Posted by Mark5000 
Mature student application - please help
December 08, 2008 05:12PM
Hi,

I am 25 years old and I would love to become an exotic pets vet. My A-levels were in Philosophy (A) Geography (cool smiley Art (cool smiley and biology (C). So, not ideal for lining me up for vet school, however I do have a 2:1 degree in Zoology, and a MSc in Wildlife conservation. I applied to various UK vet schools before I took my masters and did not even get to the invterview stage at any of them. Following my last application I am not feeling very confident about getting in. If you could offer me any advice on how to prepare for my application for 2009 I would be very grateful. Is veterinary work experience very important (I have only done 1 week of shadowing at my local vets)? Is it worth retaking biology A-level? What is the best way to get in touch with the people who make the administration decisions and find out what my chances are?

Thanks very much for your time,
Mark
Re: Mature student application - please help
December 08, 2008 08:25PM
Hi,

You are in a difficult situation - the UK Schools do prefer to take students direct from school.
Do you know about the St George's Veterinary School on Grenada? It has a relationship with some of the UK schools where the pre-clinical work is done there and the students then come to the UK for clinical teaching.
If you go to 'Grenada veterinary' on Google you will find a lot of information.

W
December 10, 2008 12:22AM
Thanks for that Walter. Its not really what I wanted to hear but I am sure that you are being realistic. I have had a look at St. Georges and it certainly looks like a viable option although it is a big decision to move halfway across the world for 3 years. In the meantime I will continue to explore my options here in the UK and if you or anyone else has any more advice please let me know.
Thanks again,

Mark
December 10, 2008 08:16AM
Hi,

I see in Tuesday's newspaper that the UK Government is to make finance available for mature students to return to university during the present economic downturn. You may be able to benefit from that if it means that the Universities are being REQUIRED to accept older students.

W
lydia
December 12, 2008 02:14PM
Hi

I am a mature student studying at Edinburgh Vet school. Here they now run a program for second degree student whereby they complete the course in 4 years. Unfortuneately studying vet med as second degree in this country is costly process, but if you have the cash/can get the cash, you should have no problems getting in. Some work experience along with the degree you have would assure your entry i reckon. I had a 2:1 degree in Zoology also, without a masters and had some work experience.

Anyway, hope that helps, it is attainable!! Good luck!!
December 13, 2008 12:27PM
Thank you, Lydia, for that information. I hope Mark finds it useful.

W
Jon
December 16, 2008 01:14PM
Hi,

I am also a post graduate student hoping to go into veterinary medicine and particularly interested in studying at Edinburgh university. However, the tuition fees for mature students, as you said Lydia, seem very high. Do you know of any governement support or otherwise for post graduates to help pay their tuition fees. I have looked into studying abroad but their tuition fees seem to be equally as high.

Thanks

Jon
December 16, 2008 03:54PM
Hi Lydia, thanks a lot for your reply. Its reasurring to know that someone in a very similar situation to me managed to get in. I will start getting some more work experience and I better start saving up some cash too.

Mark
Saph
January 17, 2009 09:13PM
Hi - i have just got in as a mature student with a degree into Edinburgh.

You need to have completed around 5 weeks of veterinary shadowing from small animals, large practice and equine.You also need another 5 weeks of additional experience i.e. in kennels, stables, lambing is particulary important and is offered by post as is at least 1 week in a dairy unit.

I believe that it was not your academic record that caused you to be rejected straight off but you complete lack of work ex. which in their eyes showed you didn't yet know anything about becoming a veterinary surgeon.

Edinburgh fees for graduates for the 2009 start is 20,900 a year with accomodation on top of this and any books etc you may need. There is NO additional funding in ANY form for second first degree undergraduates, and you must be able to provide a financial guarantee and a deposit before starting on the course.

RVC and Nottingham do not charge full fees for those entering graduates however they are very popular because of this - the only charge around 3,500 a year.
Ruby Katz
December 17, 2011 06:07PM
Hi,
I am wanting to apply to Veterinary medicine access course and I only have a National Diploma (pass,merit) but I have plenty of experience: I volunteered for two years at a vets on weekends, I went to S.Africa for a month volunteering with wildlife vet, worked at a cattery for a year, I Volunteered in Israel for four months at a nature reserve/zoo and have lots of experience with farm animals and horses.
Do you think the experience I have will help me be considered? or will my qualifications let me down?

Thanks,
Ruby
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved