VetClick Discussion Forum

anaesthesia in pregnant bitches

Posted by naveen_vet 
anaesthesia in pregnant bitches
January 27, 2004 11:54AM
What happens to the foetus in a pregnant bitch if we use Xylazine+ Ketamine intravenous anaesthesia? Whether the pups would die while the operation is underway?

We dont want the pups to struggle while the uterus is cut. We use Xylazine + Ketamine. It would be nice if someone would suggest whether really pups die or not while the operation is going on.

Thanks.

Dr Naveen
Veterinary Surgeon
Darjeeling Goodwill Animal Shelter
Kalimpong, INDIA
Re: anaesthesia in pregnant bitches
January 28, 2004 04:46PM
Hi,

I have never used xylazine/ketamine for caesarean section in the dog, but I have on occasions used medetomidine (Domitor -another alpha 2 agonist)/ketamine for very aggressive dogs. I didn't encounter any problems. All foetuses survived.

I have often used xylazine/ketamine in cats, including caesarean sections without any obvious problems. Infact a paper in the journal of veterinary anaesthesia and analgesia 2-3 years ago looking at foetal survival in cats demonstrated the highest survival rate with xylazine/ketamine.
Re: anaesthesia in pregnant bitches
March 02, 2004 12:06AM
Ketamine should produce minimal respiratory and cardiovascular depression of the pups. After delivery, the depressant effects of xylazine could be reversed with atipamezole or yohimbine if you have these antagonists available.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved