VetClick Discussion Forum

zapper dog collar

Posted by mandy 
zapper dog collar
September 22, 2008 04:55PM
Hi Walter,

I have a 3 year old Golden ret bitch. She is lovely, but a pain on walks with running off to eat horse poo and dive in puddles. No sooner is she dry from the morning walk, it is time to take her out again. Due to the lack of significant sun, every day is an endless bathing episode (as she really likes the muddy puddles). I have tried calling her, treats, whistles etc but she becomes fixated and her tail is wagging as she dives in. A friend has offered me a loan of their dog collar, which you press a button and it zaps the dog.Do you have a view on these as i am torn by the idea of hurting my dog, but also concerned that by the age of three i would have hoped to be able to get her back and also about her getting knocked down through her fixation?

thanks
Re: zapper dog collar
September 23, 2008 08:24AM
Hi,

Sounds typical of a field dog - labs, retrievers, springer spaniels and so on. No animal welfare charity, and very few vets, approve of these collars.
One problem is that the 'charge' is variable, and there may be a temptation for the user to keep increasing the level of shock to an unacceptable level.
I suggest that you ask for a referral to a canine behaviourist such as Dr Roger Mugford(If you live in the UK). There is also a list of behaviourists elsewhere on the Vetclick site under 'referrals'.
Re: zapper dog collar
September 23, 2008 10:03AM
Thankyou, I appreciate that. I think I prefer trying the other options than zapping her.

Mandy
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved