VetClick Discussion Forum

wounded squirrel , please help

Posted by rocks 
wounded squirrel , please help
June 12, 2008 07:19PM
Hi,
I need help with a very hurt squirrel I found in my front bushes. He has a wound on his back that is swollen with a single hole in the middle. I used a pai of very thick mittens to pick him up and get him into a cage His back legs don't seem to be working very well as he was trying to pull himself along with his front legs. He was covered in flys and maggots. I rinsed him off with cool water and he was using his paws to drink from the hose. I then cleaned the wound the best I could with peroxide. He is shaking when he tried to move but I've been able to calm him down by talking softly to him. I have some unsalted peanuts on the way to feed him but I don't know if thats a good thing or not.

I need any advice I can get on how to help him, what to feed him, anything you can tell me. I am worried about rabies so I have been making sure to only touch him with the heavy mittens and keep a safe distance. I have put a bowl of water in with him also. He is outside in a shady spot with a nice breeze. Please help, I know the local vets won't help since he is a wild animal and animal control will just put him down. I want to make him as comfortable as possible and do anything I can for him.

Thanks for your time,

Jacob
Re: wounded squirrel , please help
June 13, 2008 06:15AM
The squirrel needs veterinary attention as soon as possible, & although it is impossible for me to say what the problem is without seeing him, it certainly doesn't sound good & euthanasia could well be the humane result.
I get the impression that you are not in the UK. If this is right, I don't know the animal laws or health concerns in other countries, but rabies would not be a worry in the UK in a squirrel.
The animal is obviously seriously injured & is therefore suffering. Seeking the advice of a vet is a must for this poor creature.
June 13, 2008 06:31AM
You're right, I'm not in the UK. I called every vet around me and the only advice I got was to call animal control. I did manage to get the maggots off him and he drank a little water, but he passed away about an hour ago. My only comfort is that I did everything I could for him and at least he passed on comfortably sleeping on some of my t-shirts and not coverd in maggots and flies.
June 13, 2008 08:05AM
A shame but, as you said, you did your best which is all any of us can do - at least you obviously care for animals. Frommthe sound of it, it was probably for the best for the squirrle.
lyd
November 04, 2008 06:15AM
help ive been feeding a severely wounded squirrel for about 2 months now
she has a missing eye---half of her front leg is missing
and her ear has a bad cut

almost every single day i feed her she knows my voice
today she even took it from my hand

the problem is the other squirrels attack her for the food

i wish there was a way to shelter her or help her a little more

my kids call her boneleg shes almost a pet to us

help..help
November 04, 2008 08:54AM
This is a difficult one. The squirrel almost certainly would not have survived for this long without your help but if it was caught & taken to a vet or a rescue centre the advice would be to have her put to sleep - which I have to say would be my advice too. A wild squirrel cannot be kept as a pet, mainly because it is wrong to keep any wild animal in captivity but also because you need a licence to keep grey squirrels (I assume you a talking about a grey).
If it is not suffering (although I would guess it probably is) then you could carry on with supplementary feeding for as long as she survives. If she is suffering she should be taken to a vet or rescue centre to be assessed by experts.
I think that she will struggle when the weather gets colder so would advise letting someone assess her future.
lyd
November 12, 2008 06:49AM
thanks for the response yes it is a grey squirrel

i called one shelter in my area and they couldnt help me

i called the ecomuseam they told to keep on feeding it if i could
cause if i stop it will surely die...but they couldnt do anything more

it comes to me everymorning like clock work and i feed it

i just feel really bad maybe you would know of a plce in montreal

that could help or something

thanks
November 12, 2008 09:40AM
I'm afraid I don't know of anywhere in Montreal but it would probably be best to let a vet have a look at it if possible.
When I said a licence is needed to keep & release squirrels I was assuming you were in the UK. I don't know if there are any laws relating to squirrels in your area.
In the meantime, keep supplementing the food & try to find a local person who can perhaps look at the squirrel in your garden. Seeing it in situ will enable someone to give better advice.
Sorry I can't be more help.
November 14, 2008 09:29AM
Hi,

Is there not a risk from rabies in cases like this?

W
November 14, 2008 09:39AM
This is a very good and important point. Obviously rabies is not something that we need to worry about in the UK at present, but the risk of this disease needs to be assessed depending on whether it is present in the area in question.

If rabies is present in your location, because of the risk to human health, it would be advisable not to continue any close contact with the squirrel.
A.K.Goswami
Re: Indian grey squirrel
October 06, 2009 02:54PM
My young daughter saved a half dead just born Indian grey palm squirrel from some cruel students four months ago. After nursing it had been cured and getting very much favourite to all our family members. We don't know whether it is harmful to human beings or not, but we don't want to leave that poor creature.

You please advise me, what preventive measure or vaccination to be undergone to the squirrel, if it appears harmful to us.

With regards,

A. K. Goswami
IIT Kharagpur
India
mari
squirrel
January 20, 2011 02:16PM
hi
i am mari
I want to be a baby squirrel care of it I Dashnh
Do you know someone squirrels does it?
If someone sent me information please let s
Thank you very much
reena
June 09, 2011 05:55PM
i released a black squirrel into the wild a little over a year ago and some grey squirrrels attacked her and now shes bleeding from the eye and her paw is injured is she going to be okay or is there something i should do?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved