VetClick Discussion Forum

Advice needed regarding caring for abandond baby ducklings?

Posted by Teddybear 
Teddybear
Advice needed regarding caring for abandond baby ducklings?
June 16, 2010 04:01PM
I went out for a walk this morning with my young sons and as we were walking we heard chirping coming from a drain. I stopped and had a look and there were 2 baby ducklings stuck in the drain.
The mother duck was no where to be seen. I ran home as we were not far from home and got a net and a box. I managed to get the ducklings out of the drain with the net and put them in box and bought them home. I phoned a couple of rescue centres but they were not willing to take them as they had 2 many abandoned ducklings and did not have the space. I had a old guinea pig cage and some hay . I cleaned out the cage and put some hay & a shallow bowl of water for then to swim in. Will this be ok for now. Secondly I tried to find some seed to feed them and I could only find mixed wild bird seed. I know you are not meant to feed ducks this. I have removed the sunflower seeds and have grounded it up. Will this be ok until I can get out at weekend to buy some proper duck feed. I have looked after many ducks before but never wild ducks. I have mainly had muscovy ducks in the past. I don't know how old these ducklings are they are still very small and fluffy. Any advice would be much appreciated on how to care for these ducklings

thanks in advance
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved