VetClick Discussion Forum

hamster

Posted by michelleDORE 
Fay
Re: Poorly Hamster
November 29, 2011 11:41AM
My hamster has been poorly for the last two days. He has taken to his bed. He seems constipated, and has not eaten or drunk anything. He was very wobbly when I got him out last night, and he seems to have a bit of a sticky eye. What can I do??? Please help.
December 01, 2011 07:20AM
If the hamster has not eaten or drunk for 2 days then he will go down hill very quickly as hamsters have little energy reserves to cope with being ill. You do not give enough information to say why but you should see a vet promptly to get on top of things.
Missy
December 16, 2011 07:55AM
Hi,

My hamster MacGyver is a year and eight months old. Very recently, I'd say within the past week, she stumbles a lot and cannot run on her wheel without her back legs failing. She cannot walk very straight in general, although she still goes up in the tubes and seems to still have energy. She also seems to fall in a particular direction each time. Today I noticed she looks a bit more "hunched" than usual, and scratches herself more. She seems to be eating and drinking normally. She just doesn't seem herself lately and I'm concerned. I would like to take her to see a vet, but will have to wait till next week to take her, and with Xmas coming up, I just hope I can get an appointment. Any advice would help. Thank You.
December 18, 2011 01:31PM
This could be a problem with a leg or the spine from falling in the cage or getting caught up in the wheel. Without examining her though it is hard to say any more. See your vet.
Kirsten
August 08, 2012 11:12AM
Hi

we went away for three days leaving our hamster with lots of food and water - and my husband at home! this morning i went in to get hirbie hamster out and he was crouched in the corner, eyes shut.

I've taken him out, syringed small amounts of water into him as he doesn't seem to have drunk much since sunday and snuggled him up on me in a towel. He is incredi.bly skinny - massive weight loss in three days.

We bought him on 30/10/10 so he's approaching two I expect.

What can I do?

Thanks
August 10, 2012 09:42AM
Hi Kirsten, your little hamster doesn't sound well at all I'm afraid. Any hamster that loses weight, isn't interested in food/water and isn't running around, but hunched over with his eyes shut indicated quite a serious situation. I would take him straight to your vet for a thorough check up and appropriate treatment as indicated.
kaz
August 12, 2012 03:03PM
I am looking after my nieces hamster while she is away. I've had him for nearly 2 weeks and have noticed he has started to make a stange noise, he is a 1 and 1/2 year old hamster?
lisa078
August 12, 2012 09:10PM
hi
my hamster is 3 and a half years old but when i touch her back it hurts her what would you say 2 do? shes dose normal every day things still
August 13, 2012 11:53AM
Hi Lisa078,

I'm afraid you need to take your hamster to your local vet. She shouldn't hurt when you touch her back, regardless of whether or not she's still behaving normally otherwise.

Good luck!
kaz
August 14, 2012 07:54PM
Hi

I'm looking after my niece's hamster who is 1 and half years old. He' been with me for 2 weeks now but as just started making loud squeeking noises. Should I be worried?
FionaMD
August 14, 2012 11:03PM
Hi I bought a female hamster about 10 days ago. She is suppose to be approx 13 weeks old. Yesterday I noticed she has become less active and is sleeping quite alot more than before. She doesnt seem to be drinking much water and then today I noticed that her tummy lookes larger than normal. Although shes not quite use to me holding her yet she definatly didnt want me holding her today. What do you think could be wrong? Should I take her to see a vet?
Madeline Berry
August 18, 2012 02:12AM
Hey
I have two young hamster bought them about 4 months ago, stupidly I got distracted by their cuteness when I bought them and forgot to ask of they were boys or girls. They settled in very quickly and live in the same cage, haven't had any problems since, no fighting no mating etc. One of them is bigger than the other one not sure if its overweight I just assumed this was just a dominance thing and because he doesn't like going on the wheel as much as the other one. Lately the slightly larger one has been making funny noises don't really know how to describe it its kind of like a snuffling noise he also seems a bit less active (although that might just be a personality thing he's always been not as adventurous as the other one). Are the noises anything I should be concerned about.
Thanks
M
August 18, 2012 08:18AM
Hi There,
Any hamster that demonstrates a sudden change in behaviour i.e.goes off their food or water or starts to make odd noises needs to be seen by a vet. It may be nothing to worry about, but strange squeaks or snuffles or whistles could indicate a respiratory problem. Hamsters can be prone to bacterial and viral infections and if this is the case, the first thing to do is separate out the poorly hamster from any other hamsters to minimise the risk of spread of infection. All bedding, housing etc will need to be disinfected or replaced and the hamster must be seen by a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment. I hope this helps & good luck!
Zara The Vet

[www.vetvoice.co.uk]
[www.zarathevet.com]
August 19, 2012 10:57PM
Hello-

I have eight baby hamsters (about 10 days old), and one of them has what seems to look like very hard feces, or dry blood stuck to its bottom. I've read online about somethcalled "wet tail", but it doesn't look like that. They are all still nursing from the mom, so I'm reluctant to take the baby away just yet. Also, I believe it might be a male, since it has the scent gland above its tummy. The area above the anus looks swollen, but I don't see any bleeding.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

- Andrea.
August 23, 2012 02:56PM
we bought 2 hamsters a few weeks ago. One was livelier than the other but both were fine and fun. 2 days ago we gave them pieces of tissues since I read they like it and they went wild with excitement but fought a lot over it and kept moving it from one place to another I dont know if it has any connection but suddenly the livelier one got very quiet ,hardly moving and her eyes seem to pop out . I forgot to mention that they got very fat could it be we over fed them ? Is it usual that they fight a little ? they are both female Siberian
nena
September 04, 2012 08:14PM
I have a teadybear hamster .. Louis..
His probably 8-9 months old. He got a boil on his neck on left side down , before that boil appeared there was blood coming from his eyes prior 2 days to that. I took him to a vet. Vet gave him one lotion to apply , an eye drop and moxipet . And some more medicines And 2 days before he gave him 2 injections. One of vitamin and a antibiotic. When i bought him home he was almost died, i kept him in his bedding because i wasnt sure of his feeling cold or is it because on 2 injections at a time..his fine but not normal yet. I m finding a good vet but not getting any near by. What should i do now? The boil has some ball kind of thing inside and his so week now cannot even eat . I feed him juice with dropper. Please reply as soon as possible.. I m very tensed.
Abby
September 18, 2012 09:14PM
My hamster is 2 and she is having a problem with his eye. Her eye is all puffy and lost hair all around it. what should I do to help her
September 20, 2012 08:46AM
Hi Abby,

Your hamster's eye problem as you describe could have a serious cause such as an infection for which there's little you can do at home to help. It's important to check that she doesnt stop eating and drinking, signs of her becoming seriously ill, plus the eye is probably quite uncomfortable for her now so the best course of action would be to take her to your vet. They may be able to offer some treatment, or something to make her more comfortable, depending on their diagnosis. At 2 years old she is already quite an elderly hamster so it will be much harder for her to respond well to treatment, especially if the symptoms are left to get worse.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Kellyjerry
October 12, 2012 09:22PM
My hamster is about 8 months old. he is drink and eating ok and still very active. The thing is his pennis is out and at the end of it. it is black and crusty. what could brought wrong with it please help
October 13, 2012 05:45PM
Hi,

That really doesnt sound good. I would advise you to get him to a vet soon. If this is really the case there is some tissue damage going on which could seriously threaten his health.

Louloumoo
October 29, 2012 07:55PM
Hi iv a male Syrian hamster he's we have had him around 8weeks and were told he was 8weeks old when we got him over the past week or two he's become less lively sleeping all day and most night moving his bed from his house to outside but most concerning is he is very wobbly when moving in the cage falling over a lot he's still eating and drinking but really worried as he's not right and don't want him to suffer!!when u pick him up he doesn't resist in fact he just lays like he's sleeping
Sian Ella
October 30, 2012 10:19AM
Hi,
About 2 months ago we brought 2 Russian Dwarf Hamsters from the pet shop. Now, they are about 2 or 3months old. They are two very active and friendly hamsters that love being handled. They are together in the same cage as the lady in the shop said that they are fine together. All of a sudden one of they hamsters is making a squeaky noice. Is this a normal habit for a hamster to have? We are worried because only 1 of the hamsters is making this noise! It sounds like shes breathing heavly with a squeak. As she is only young we are a bit worried and concerned about what to do? The hamster is acting a bit shyer than usual but is still quite active. She is making this noise near enough all of the time even when sleeping. On the other hand her sister is fine and acting normally!
Thanks
Sian
November 01, 2012 05:53PM
Hi Sian Ella

Your hamster could have a respiratory infection which is causing the squeaky sound each time she breathes. That would need medication with antibiotics. Only your vet can tell you for sure and prescribe the treatment. Better take them both along as sometimes infection spreads from one hamster to another, so both might be treated. I am guessing it would be easier for you to keep them both together in their cage for transporting, they will be happier not being split up.

November 01, 2012 05:58PM
Hi Louloumoo

Your male hamster is sick and sounds very weak. I agree you should not let him suffer so if he's stil around take him to a vet. They can tell you if there's any hope for him, but it doesnt sound good.

Cyonce
December 25, 2012 12:50AM
Hi,
I have had a bear hamster for five days now. For the first few days he was active, running on his wheel and such. The past two days all he has done is sleep. Sometimes he tries to walk, but wobbles and drags his head. He also breaths really heavy.
NatNat
January 02, 2013 01:54AM
Hello,
I have a 2 n a half year old russian dwarf and 3 months ago I took him to the vet as he was very skinny and one of his eyes was shut most of the time, the prognosis was cancer in he cheek causing the weight loss and his eye to close, weight loss was also due to him lossing his top teeth and his bottom ones being over grown, the vet didn't trim them as it would be too stressful for him.

Since then I have taken out all the ramps in the cage and he had 2 food bowls one has normal dry food and the other baby food. His weight has improved dramatically and he seemed really good for a couple of months but now he squeaks a lot and has loss of balance, poor fur quality, grumpy and snappy, weak and doesn't drink any thing but eats loads. Im really worried about taking him to the vet as I think he might get put down despite his good appetite sad smiley
January 03, 2013 07:36PM
These signs in a hamster, especially one that you've only just got are not good at all. Any hamster showing signs of breathing difficulty and weakness/wobbliness is very ill. I am sorry but it may be now too late and I fear he has died.

Elizabeth
Bad Leg?
January 03, 2013 07:53PM
I have a 2 1/2 year old syrian hamster, this week i've noticed that hes walking funny on his back right leg, sort of like a limp and his right eye seems to be closed than his left. I was then informed by another relative who sees him more when hes awake that he has had trouble with his leg for a while after he escaped (his only ever escape) from his cage and jumped down off a waist height table but they thought it would get better so didn't bother mentioning it to me. Could his leg be broken and if so would it have healed incorrectly if its been left untreated? also if he needs to see a vet does anyone know how i could find one in my area which treats hamsters as i'm told a lot of vets don't treats hamsters?
Thanks
NatNat
January 03, 2013 08:26PM
Hello,
I have a 2 n a half year old russian dwarf and 3 months ago I took him to the vet as he was very skinny and one of his eyes was shut most of the time, the prognosis was cancer in he cheek causing the weight loss and his eye to close, weight loss was also due to him lossing his top teeth and his bottom ones being over grown, the vet didn't trim them as it would be too stressful for him.

Since then I have taken out all the ramps in the cage and he had 2 food bowls one has normal dry food and the other baby food. His weight has improved dramatically and he seemed really good for a couple of months but now he squeaks a lot and has loss of balance, poor fur quality, grumpy and snappy, weak and doesn't drink any thing but eats loads. Im really worried about taking him to the vet as I think he might get put down despite his good appetite sad smiley
Re: Bad Leg?
January 04, 2013 12:36PM
Hi Elizabeth

Yes he might have broken his leg or there might even be some nerve damage to it after a fall. Is he lively and eating and able to move around lots even with a limp because that all makes a big difference about if he needs to see a vet. He is old and you are right to think that there might not be much that can be done for him but most pet animal vets do see hamsters. Just phone your local practices and ask.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved