VetClick Discussion Forum

hamster

Posted by michelleDORE 
samantha
Re: Poorly Hamster
August 15, 2009 01:48PM
Recently ive been minding my friends hamster as he is on holiday. I've notcied that theres a white discharge coming from his bum and he is quite skinny but he seems to be eating fine. My old hamster had these conditions and died but im not sure if this is the same thing. I dont know if i should wait for 2 weeks for my friend to get home or take the hamster to the vet??????
August 15, 2009 01:51PM
Hi,

Do you know how old this hamster is?

W
samantha
August 15, 2009 08:57PM
Recently my friend went on holiday and im minding his hamster. I've notcied that there is white discharge from his bum and is fur condition is not that good although his eyes r still bright. I also used to have a hamster but it died from wet tail. Im not sure if this is the same thing and im not sure if i should wait the two weeks till my friend is home or take the hamster to the vets???????

Any suggestions???????
August 16, 2009 07:21AM
Hi, Samantha,

I have already posted a reply to your enquiry asking how old this hamster is.

W
samantha
August 16, 2009 01:00PM
sorry i didnt mean to post it twice i didnt see that the first one went through. But the hamster is just around a year old.
August 17, 2009 07:49AM
Hi,

If he is eating and still active, I would not worry aboput the discharge. If he does shows more signs of i;;ness, then let a vet see him.

W
samantha
August 17, 2009 09:01AM
Hi!!
Thanks for your help. i'll watch for more signs.
holly
August 22, 2009 04:30PM
hello,

my hamster is acting weird and when he walks he is leaning to one side.We dont know how old he becauuse my auntiesfriend gave it me but someone gave her it be for that so we dont know his age! he seems to be eating and drinking fine and not seems in distress. we dont want to take it to the vet because they would not be able to do much and proably put him down. Plus i dont want that to happen

what should i do?

thankyou holly bowleer
August 23, 2009 07:01AM
Hi,

I cannot think of anything you can do except to keep him warm andd ry, look adfter him as well as you can, and see what happens.

W
EB
August 30, 2009 08:34PM
Hi
My son's hamster is around 18 months old. I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that he is not eating as much as usual and has lost weight. He is drinking fine. Tonight I think his nose area and feet look 'blueish'. Could I be right and could this be something that needs to be treated or would it be age related?
Would be grateful for some advice.
August 30, 2009 09:11PM
Hi,

18 monthsto two years is a fair age for a hamster, and 'around' 18 monhs could well be closer to 2 years!
Hamsters are difficult to treat, and beyond keeping warm and undisturbed there is little one can do for this.

W
Allly
August 31, 2009 01:50AM
Hi i am just 11, But i got a teddy bear hamster with my birthday money last year, every now and then i change his cage and water and check if he has food, and is feeling fine he was born Halloween of 2008, tonight i taped his cage and he wasn't coming up, so i grabed him and he started shaking his water was completly foll from yesterday, so i didn't understand so i picked him up and showed my mom and he kept shaking. My mom then relieved that he was dhyrated, so we gave wet foods like letuse,broclili, chesse, ganloa bars, cherios and some of his food and treats i buy him at the pet store. So we put his paws in some water, and he started moving around more, but still he shaking
Sammy
August 31, 2009 08:41PM
My hamster is 18 months old he was fine yesterday and hasn't been out his cage. Today I noticd him flopping about and can't walk on his back legs he was dragging them about. I took him out his cage and he was walking about ok but still abit floppy. I'm scared I put him in his cage and he walking in circles still dragging his back legs
September 01, 2009 07:26AM
Hi,

I suspect that your hamster has suffered a hind lmb paralysis for some reason, and may not recover.

He would best be left quietly in his cage and not disturbed so as to give him the best of chances.

W
hild
October 10, 2009 01:30PM
My daughters hamster is making strange noises, is this normal ? other wise she seems well can anyone tell us why please.?
Sally bouwman
November 25, 2009 08:55PM
My hamster is about 3 months old and she is suddenly looking and behaving very strangely. She seems to want to just curl up like a little ball, his eyes are dull and she keeps shaking. She may have a limp but because she is not moving about it is hard to really tell. We have not seen any wet tail or anything like that. Someone said that maybe she was hibernating. does anyone have any thoughts on this?
ddavis
December 05, 2009 07:37AM
our hamster ( 2 years old) is struggling to walk he is hardly moving and squeaked when we tried to pick him up. His eyes are shut and he wont move from his bed now.We are giving him water by a syringe but he's struggling to take it ?
December 05, 2009 09:15AM
Hi,

Some hamster 'experts' will not agree with me, but I suspect that your pet is failing because of old age and the onset of winter.

W
Antonia
December 06, 2009 11:28PM
My hamster appears to have a over grown tooth.He has mineral stones in his cage but doesn't seem to do anything with them.He is about 1yr 10mths old should he go to the vet.Any advice please.
December 07, 2009 08:23AM
Hi,

If the overgrown tooth is interfering with his eating, a vet can trim it for you in a few seconds.

W
henry is my fave pony..:)
December 09, 2009 06:39PM
I have a hamster he is 3 months old (ish) he is quite fluffy his fur is quite greasy round his back.what causes this? and can i bath him? or is there another way to cure this? thanks pippa.
Baish Nicoll
December 12, 2009 12:01PM
My hamster keeps being sick but me and my dad does not know why its being sick.Its like this yellow and clear liquid stuff in his wheel,also hi bottom gets sticky sometimes?
December 12, 2009 03:14PM
Hi,Baish,

He probably has a bowel infection - have you been giving him any food recently which may not have been clean?
Give him less food but plenty of water for a few days, keep him warm and let him rest.

W
Mandyjb
January 10, 2010 02:17PM
Hi, our hamster is about 20 months, the last couple of weeks, shes taken to staying in her house, and not eating, (previously to that she was drinking loads of water) we take her out and give her baby food, but she only wanted that the first night, then we tried purified carrot, she ate a little, then some mushrooms broken into little bits. Shes very wobbly on her feet, she was so very active before im wondering if there is anything else we can do for her?
mandyjb
January 13, 2010 05:01PM
Hi, it dosent matter now, as the hamster has died, so i cannot do anything else for her.
Lucy
February 23, 2010 01:05PM
Hi everyone. I have a year old syrian hamster who has always been exceptionally fit and healthy. Big bright eyes etc. He used to love doing upside down monkey bars on his cage! However, i think he must have fallen as a couple of days ago i took him out to play and he got aggresive (something he's never done before) and i noticed he wasnt walking as normal. He seemed to have a crick in his back. and when he goes to climb the cage he keeps falling off onto his back, it's very destressing. I took him to the vets and they gave him an anti-inflamitory jab. And he's been quiet and sleeping ever since. Im so worried. Do u think this is a reaction to the injection or because he's on his last legs confused smiley Any advice how to treat would be greatly appreciated.
Ellisha Walmsley
Re: Poorly Hamster that unfortunatly died today
March 18, 2010 11:58AM
Hi my hamster is called Freddie and i bought him on the 23rd of December 2009 From Pets at home. About a week (or maybe a bit less) i discovered a cut on his cheek that had scabbed over and then a couple of days later it had all swollen up so i took him to the vet and they gave him an anti inflamitary injection and then some banna flavoured medicane which he had to take 0.05 ml twice a day he was ok for the first couple of days but then all his stomach swelled up and he couldnt walk properly and i was really upset today because he died this morning and i really want to know what could of caused it.

please help i really would apprechiate it as i am only 13 years old and i really want to know what caused my hamsters death as i do not want it to happen again .

thank you
Re: Poorly Hamster that unfortunatly died today
March 18, 2010 05:10PM
Hi,

Sorry to hear that your pet has died.

I think that the infection from the wound probably spread through her body and the antibiotics were not able to control it.

W
l hussain
April 06, 2010 10:01AM
hi my daughters hamster has started to discharge from its mouth also has become very twitchy and jumpy. he did give him some hamster chocolate this morning and think that he is dribbling its been over an hour and still no change can you please advise me thanks
April 07, 2010 08:31AM
Excessive drooling often indicates a dental problem - he may need his teeth sortned - a job for yor vet if he has not improved by now.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved