VetClick Discussion Forum

hamster

Posted by michelleDORE 
michelleDORE
hamster
January 16, 2013 08:35PM
hi - hope you can help. my son has a hamster - she is around 18 months old. this evening we put her in her ball to run
around in - after about ten minutes my son noticed she was making very odd sounds, almost like a choking noise.
I checked her - no sign of sickness at all but the noise was quite worrying. I have put her back in her newly cleaned
cage with new food. she seems fine now. any ideas as to what this noise could have been.

thank you in advance for your help.

Michelle
Poorly Hamster
November 14, 2005 09:33AM
I need some advice please - my daughters 3 year old hamster has taken to its bed and seems to be making strange noises - little squeeks and what sounds like rhaspy breathing. I think her heart rate is increased as well. I know she's old and is probably in her last throws of life but I'm a bit concerned she may be in pain. I don't remember our previous 3 hamsters making these sounds. Please can you advise what I should do - I'm concerned about how expensive the vet will be as I don't have a lot of money.
Re: Poorly Hamster
November 14, 2005 10:53AM
Hi, julie,

A three year-old hamster is definitely ' living on borrowed time' - I do not recall ever having seen a hamster as old as that!.

It may well be that it will just 'slip away', but it would cost you nothing to phone your local veterinary practice and ask how much they would charge to put it to sleep. I think that it would be unreasonable to charge you a 'consultation fee' of £15 or more, but I am aware that some of my ideas on 'reasonable' fees are out of date.

If you have a local PDSA, BLue Cross or RSPCA clinic and you just turn up on the doorstep, thay would proably help you.

Walter
jeanette
June 08, 2006 11:34AM
My hamster has lost all his fur. He seemed well enough and the vet gave him some steroid cream. Now he is so thin and not eating very much. Should we call it a day?
June 09, 2006 07:28AM
Hi, Jeannette,

If your hamster if over two years old, I think it is unliklely that it will recover.
Walter
Eve
August 10, 2006 11:23PM
Hi, Please Help! Just over 3 weeks ago, I bought 2 6week old male hamsters for my daughter & son. We always make sure we keep them apart. One of the hamsters is thriving, but the other hamster has always been a bit nervous. During this past week he hasn't been eating his food and looks a lot thinner than the other one, he walks a little odd and looks pitiful and slightly fragile. We are really worried about him, but hope he'll be ok soon. His tail area does not look wet or anything, so I hope it's nothing serious. Water offered. Both pets have separate cage's but have been treated exactly the same, So I really can't understand why this has happend. I do hope vet bills are inexpensive to see a tiny pet such as a hamster? But I hope it won't come to that, What do you think? Grateful for you opinion.
August 11, 2006 07:27AM
Hi, Eve,
It sounds serious to me, especially if the other is doing well.
Since you bought the hamster so recently you should certainly take it back to the shop where you bought it and ask for a replacement, either for noothing or at a discount.
Walter
Lucy
October 02, 2006 11:25AM
hi, My hamster is just over a year old and i have discovered a black wart like mark near her bottom, she has also become sweaty does this mean she is on her last legs or is there something we can do for her??

i would be most greatful if you could help
many thanks lucy
October 02, 2006 12:53PM
Hi, Lucy,

A one-year-old hamster should have another year's life expectation!

If the black mark is in, not on, the skin, it is unlikely to be serious.
If it is raised above the skin, maybe you should seek advice from a veterinarian.
W
Cogsy
March 29, 2007 08:42PM
hi, my hamster has just developed a rather large patch on its side where it appears to be nibbling and looks rather sore. the skin is bear and we are worried.
please advice??
Thank you
March 29, 2007 09:05PM
Try massaging a little cod-liver-oil into the bare patch.
Bear in mind that hamsters rarely live to be more than 2 years old, and that loss of fur may be the first sign of old age!
katie
February 25, 2008 03:38PM
hi I bought a 6 week old syrian hamster - female just under a week ago. She has been extremely friendly and not nervous at all. For the last 2 days she has smelt of urine in the morning, her cage is in good condition, and under her tail and around her back area she seems to be wet and almost matterd. Please help. Kate
February 25, 2008 03:47PM
Hi, Katie

Get her straight back to the pet shop and ask for a healthy replacement.
Thia is an infectious condition known as 'wet tail' and she was almost certainly affected when you got her. If the shop is reputable you should have no problem.

W
Andrew Laws
March 15, 2008 04:37PM
Hi my hamster is a 9 month old syrian male! we have recently moved house in the last two weeks and our hamster has not been himself! for example when we put him in his ball he usally runs all over the place for a good hour or so! but recently he just stays still and goes to sleep! we have also noticed that he has a milky white discharge coming from his bum or penis were not sure! I would be very grateful if you could give me any advice on this matter as me and my partner are very worried about him! many thanks.
March 17, 2008 10:00AM
Hi,

It may be that he is stressed from the move. I can suggeste nothing more than lots of TLC and keep him warm, hoping that he will readjust and recover.

W
Louise SH
March 18, 2008 01:38PM
Hi I would just like to talk about my hamster and reassure people that they can get over wet tail. I have now had my hamster three weeks. On day 4 I was at home and noticed he had wet tail. I took him straight to the vets. Yes I could have taken him back to the shop I had him from but this is a living animal and if you agree to buy him you agree to look after them when they are ill and I believe cost should never ever be an issue. He was in the vets an hour after first symptons and was given antibiotics. It was hard and we needed to wash him and feed him to get the antibiotics down him but within a few days he was much better. He is now eating lots and has so much energy.

I advise people with a new hamster that if they arent eating to watch them carefully. Take them to the vets immediately if you notice they have wet tail or are in pain, never mind the money if this is a problem you should not have a pet. Make sure the hamster is drinking and eating and clean. Cleaning them with paper towel and putting a little bit of Baby powder on to them works wonders.

With a lot of TLC and proper care a hamster can survive wet tail!
Faye
March 25, 2008 03:32AM
Hi,
My hamster Sally, has developed a twitching foot?? i noticed it the other night, when you hold her up its twitchin like mad and now the other one has started doing it. Not as bad as the other. But still its twitching.
My previous two hamsters never did it as far as i am aware.
Is it common ?
Should i worry?
She is getting on and well i don't want her to die in pain its not hurting at present but would hate it if it became painful!

Help please...
March 25, 2008 07:56AM
Hi,

This could be a neurological problem, which may be progressive and, realistically, untreatable, or if could be a parasitic mange-mite infestation which causes an uncontrollable desire to scratch. if you have only acquired her recently and she is quite young, I think that this is the most likely explanation. Your pet shop should be able to supply you with a suitable treatment, but ideally you should get my tentative diagnosis confirmed by a vet.

W
Bekki
April 20, 2008 07:40PM
Hiya, my hamster Charlie is 2years 8months. He's always been very healthy but recently he's stopped eating and drinking, and his breathing seems very heavy. He got very thin. We have been to the vets and he has given antibiotics -saying it could be pneumonia or a heart problem, and all he can do is try and treat the one that is treatable.

we've been giving him the medicine, and have used a spare syringe to 'feed' him water, baby food and warm milk with honey. He seems to be gaining weight, and will eat a little bit of toast by choice - and i have noticed him sorting sunflower seeds from his food bowl. he still seems quite weak, and unsteady on his feet. There's still 3 days to go till the end of his antibiotics.

Are we being cruel keeping him alive by feeding him through the syringe? or will it help keep him strong while the antibiotics try to take effect?
April 20, 2008 07:57PM
Hi,

2years 8 months is extremely old for a hamster - few live beyond two years. I suspect thet whatever you do and whatever treatment you give him he is unlikely to survive.

W
Jackie
May 13, 2008 06:24PM
Hi

My sons hamster is quite unwell 2 weeks ago we noticed he was discoloured underneath and matted although he was eating and drinking we took him to the vet who gave a course of anti-biotics these have now finished and he seems to be getting worse, he has had dhioroeah which lasted a few days and cleared up but now he is having no bowel movements at all and not eating or drinking i have tried to give him water via a syringe i got some down but not a lot as i was worried i would overwelm him or maybe shouldnt be doing it. Any advice of what to administer if anything would be gratefully appreciated he is only 6 months old and was totally healthy before all of this
May 13, 2008 07:04PM
Sorry to hear about your sick hamster. Diarrhoea is quite a common sequel to giving antibiotics to small 'furrys'.

Giving him some fluid is essential, and keeping his cage warm - aim at a temperature in teh cage of about 75F - are both important.

W
Jackie
May 14, 2008 10:03AM
Hi

Thanks for your help with this, can you advise as to the best way in getting the fluids down him and as to whether he needs sugar added at all. Should i be worried he isnt eating or should this come right in time? I was considering taking him back to the vets but i dont know if there is anything they can do for him more than what i am at present?

Thanks

Jackie
May 14, 2008 01:19PM
Hi,

Definitely NOT sugar but a few grains ( literally) of salt might be a good idea.

W
Lauren
May 17, 2008 07:40PM
Hi,

I'm really worried about my hamster, over the past week, it looks as if his bum has got really really big and it looks slightly darker than normal and just really swollen. Not too sure what to do, as he doesn't look or sound in pain, it just looks like he's finding it slightly awkard to walk. He's only one and a half. He can't be on his last legs already? Can he?

Please help,
Lauren
May 17, 2008 08:46PM
Hi,

If he is eating OK and is still lively I would not be worried about this swelling at his back-end.

W
SarahB
August 08, 2008 07:27PM
hi,

I just wondered if you could give me any more advice, i have taken my hamster to the vets today after coming home and realising that he had gunk- sort of looking like blood, around his eyes and nose. I took him to the vets straight away preparing myself that they was going to have to put him down as he looked terrible. But they didint, he is moving around slightly but to me he seems to be getting worse and i am sure his kneck is swollen,and his isnt moving hardly or properly. He had a anitbiotic injection and i have been given a couple more days doses.(although i fear he might not make it) I know things arent looking good for him but can you think of anything i could syringe feed him to try and help him. I have given him water but he isnt intersted in eating. I realise if he isnt better in a couple of days i am going to have to take him back for him to be put to sleep as it isnt fair for him to be in pain. also i wondered if you have heard of any of these symptons before because i have to others that lived with him and i am worried that they may also get it, as the vet isnt unsure, i suppose its going to be a waiting game. Any advice would be very very much appricated though...

thanks
Sarah
August 09, 2008 12:50PM
Hi,

I think you are doing all that you can. Try to get some fluid into him, using a syringe, and follow your vet's advice on the antibiotic treatment.

Little furries are not very easy patients to treat.

W
sarah b
August 09, 2008 06:28PM
Thank you very much for your advice but he passed away today!
We tried through the night but he got worse and it wasnt fair so we took him to the vets again to be put down but he died in the waiting room. At least he is out of his missery!

Thanks again,
Sarah
vicky h
August 13, 2008 07:39PM
hi. Ive just bough 2 chinese dwarf hamsters from a pet shop. One is fine, timidly exploring whilst the other is curled up in the back of the box he travelled home from the pet shop in. He was quite subdued in the shop which is why my daughter chose him. He seems to be continually washing his face or paws whist sort of shaking. He is also making a small squeeking noise. Is he alright? What should i do to help him? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
thanks
vicky
Author:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved