VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Guinea Pig After birth
May 23, 2013 03:24PM
Hi Jamie
I hope this worked out OK and all the babies survived as you said there were 2 on the small side. If the mother GP is continuing to lose fur then you should get her checked by a vet in case she has a skin disease. GP's can suffer from a mange mite infection which is a severe problem and will affect all the babies too unless treated.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Jay
June 07, 2013 02:16PM
A few months ago i bought 4 pigs i thought were all pairs. A few weeks ago i dicovered that it was 1 male and 3 females. All are pregnant now and one just gave birth to two pups. today. I have lots of room with 4 big cages but i wonder if its ok to house in one cage for the mother and pups with another pregnant pig?
June 18, 2013 05:26PM
Hi Jay

I think it depends on exactly how big your cages are. Is there rom to fit something within each cage to give each pig some private space? e.g.as a temporary measure some turned over cardboard or plastic boxes with a hole cut for access might allow for each pig to have a den away from other to raise their babies. I feel sorry for you as the problem has arisen totally because someone failed to do the sexing correctly when you bought your pigs. Its going to be very important to get all the litters sexed reliably now so the problem doesn't continue for you in future. The male guinea pigs could all be neutered or permanently kept separately from your females in future.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Stephanie
Scratched eye on a newbaby guinea pig
January 04, 2016 11:14PM
I have a great concern, we had 3 new babies born on new years eve, as I have been looking at 1 of them, one of the eyes looks like it is blind, but as I looked closer and wiped it with warm water, I saw there was a very large and nasty scratch right in the middle of the eye, like a small chunk of it is gone, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
Me
February 17, 2016 12:44PM
Advice needed please. My Guinea pig gave birth to one pup a week ago. Mother and baby doing fine to a certain extent. Mother seems to have lost weight and is loosing hair, she now has quite a large bald patch. Is this normal? Do I need to seperate her from her baby? Thank you in advance
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved