VetClick Discussion Forum

canine bowel obstruction surgery

Posted by Debbie 
Re: canine bowel obstruction surgery
September 25, 2012 01:00AM
I had an eight month old chocolate lab that had a bowel obstruction and did not make it. It was really strange the way it all happend. By the time we knew something was wrong, he was very sick. He had vomited once or twice in the two days prior but he was still drinking water and playing like puppies do so I wasn't alarmed right away. I did not know he had an obstruction or I obviously would have taken him to the vet right away. We went in the morning of the second day because he started to vomit several times and seemed to be in pain and he had also refused all food. He was all set to have surgery and then the doctor calls me at home and starts to tell me alot of horrible developments in his case: he is now vomiting blood and his blood will not clot, so they cannot do the surgery. It was atleast eight hours from the time he arrived until they ultimately could do nothing for him. I was beside myself with how quickly he deteriorated. I found out the next day going through the paperwork that they had given him heparin. ????? I know that is an anticoagulant, so needless to say I was confused. My question is, why would they give him heparin if he was suppose to be having surgery? Is there a reason that maybe I just do not know? I was not told of this and to me it makes no sense. They do not usually give a blood thinner to surgery patients, do they?
September 27, 2012 10:53AM
Hi Sarah

I am sorry for the tragic loss of your young dog. Heparin in a very small dose can be used to keep an intravenous drip cannula clear of blood clots which is beneficial for the patient in allowing fluid therapy to be given. Used locally like this it doesnt reduce the overall ability of the patient's blood to clot. Other than that I can't comment on its particular usage in the course of your dog's treatment. His symptoms were obviously very severe and complicated. I suggest you ask your vets if they would discuss the paperwork about your dog with you, as you say there may be a reason that you didnt know that would benefit from explaination.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Lisa Escamilla
September 29, 2012 01:45PM
My 3 monthe old puppy just had surgery yesterday to remove something hard that he ate that caused an obstruction. Today we are having to make him sip on the beef broth with a 5 ml syringe. He has a stinky odor that smell like he ate rotten eggs or something. Is that normal or should I be worried about the smell.
Victoria Ottinger
October 01, 2012 06:55PM
My Wheaten Terrier had a bowel obstruction about 4 weeks ago. I decided to go through with the surgery. They said his intestines were completely compact with fabric and string. They made three incisions. He came home with me a few days later. Started eating slowly, then got sick again. I took him back to the hospital. Had another surgery, they found he had a septic abdomen. They caught it very early. Kept him there for a week and a half, put drains in him to monitor fluid. He has been home for two weeks now and back to normal. My uncle has been staying with me and watching him 24/7. He walked this morning, had a ton of energy. Then threw up twice today, only ate a couple of treats, and seems to not have nearly as much energy. I don't understand what could be wrong. He has been doing great and has been watched non stop to make sure he doesnt get into anything. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? My uncle did start feeding him ground lamb mixed with barley and potatos a few days ago. Could it be an allergic reaction to the lamb? He wont touch the normal dog food I used to feed him.
October 01, 2012 09:50PM
Hi Lisa

A pup that has had major bowel surgery needs a really close watch on him. Sounds like you are doing that. His bowels wont be working very well just yet so he might be suffering with some excess wind, giving him a bad smell coming from either his stomach or his rear. But much more important than a bad smell is if he is starting to drink freely and getting interested in food. If that's not happening please get him checked again as soon as possible by your vet.

October 01, 2012 09:57PM
Hi Victoria

Your dog has been through quite an ordeal and obviously suffered a lot of damage to his bowels plus suffered from peritonitis. I would advise you to let your vet check him over again. Unfortunately its still possible that the cause of his throwing up food relates to bowel damage that he suffered previously. I hope that's not the case but would urge you to get him checked, especially if his symptoms continue or get worse.

chris dine
May 09, 2013 04:48PM
i have a 4 year old jack russel dog who I got a dog bone from tescos thinking it was a treat for him .. but later that day he starting vomiting
and I noticed bits off bone in it . my wife said to take him to the vets where they kept him in for an x ray they found his intestine and bowel was blocked and he had to have two surgery opps. 20 hours later we picked are baby dog up .. he is drinking and has had a wee. he looks very sore and don't want to eat yet. the next few days are at 24 hour watch and care . please beware when giving your pets a bone .
Emma M
August 21, 2015 12:09AM
Im in desperate need of help for my 1 1/2 yr old Chihuahua she ate a paper towel ,and has been laying around all day she has popped 3 times not diarrhea,but i could see some of the paper towel,and her belly is hard,and shes been shaking a lot,and i have no way to get her to a vet. What can i do?
kayla
September 16, 2015 05:39AM
I have a year old English bull terrier. She had a bowel obstruction that required surgery to be removed, two weeks ago. She is eating and drinking normal and back to her loving spunky self but her bowel movements are not back to normal. They are soft and have no shape. Im not sure if I should be worried about this.
Linda Jung
October 19, 2015 08:58AM
Hi, My dog is 9yrs old, male, he had an operation earlier this year (6 months ago)for an obstruction in the intestins, they could not diagnose what the obstruction was, yet was not cancerous....he is a mixed hunting breed and spens most of his time ouside with regular walks. Last Wednesday early morning he got out of his kennel and got into the maize fields nearby (not yet harvested)....I had to free him but noticed he'd eaten a maize cob; I believe these maize fields are for certain farm animals not for human consumption......I noticed Friday (2 days later) he ate his food rather slowly and noticed that he had not nor was he passing faeces....I observed on Saturday and was the same ate slowly, no faeces.......yesterday, Sunday, he wouldn't eat his normal food, still no faeces, no sickness; I decided to try what the vet suggested, at first to me last time, paraffin + sardines in oil, still no....he's very quiet, in himself, at present drinking water...although I must check that......Is there anything else I can do at present or is it a definite trip to the vet?

Reading through some of the questions/answers on your site, I see that each time surgery is performed can make the stomach/bowel even more susceptible to these obstructions...;would very much appreciate your help.
Many thanks to you in advance and for the advice on your site.
Linda Jung
Cheryl Wilkins
January 24, 2016 04:20PM
Hi Maria

My dog had a 30cm blockage from the small intestine through the to the large this was taken out in November 2015 we found out in January the bit that joins the two intestines also got taken out.
My boy is loosing weight and has had diahrea since then (explosive)
We have tried everything from different antibiotics steroids, Hypoallergenic food substitute enzymes and it's still not sorting it self .
Will my boy t better?
His happy in himself but not sure what this is doing to him internally.

Please help someone

Cheryl

His a Hungarian Vizsla aged 3
Brittany
February 14, 2016 03:32AM
My dog ate plastic bottle caps and severe vomiting for a week. We finally found a vet
That dos surgery on Tuesday. We brought her home on Friday. I noticed she was walking
Funny (sideways / off balance) when we brought her home but I assumed it was the pain meds.
She had her first bowel movement this afternoon during the bowel movement her back legs went out
And are not working now. She can't use them at all !! She can feel them just can't stand on them.

What can cause this !!!
nana
February 16, 2016 05:26AM
hello. i'm writing to ask the significance of green bile being vomited up by a two yr old golden 24 hrs post op from having a blockage removed from his intestine. is force feeding him a bad idea? he is very thin and weak.
Author:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved