VetClick Discussion Forum

Salary query

Posted by vnewson 
Salary query
August 16, 2005 08:26PM
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me,

Because I have found myself living on my own now I need to know how much I would the annual salary be doing the Animal Nursing Assistant course (the one year course you do if you do not have the required grades)? Also what would the salary be for the 2 year student Vet Nurse course?
This would be in either the essex or london area.

Thanks so much!

Victoria
Re: Salary query
August 02, 2006 11:42AM
The ANA or old pre-vet nursing, theoretically should be on minimum wage. However, an employer can pay you less than the minimum wage for the first year of your employment, as a legal loop hole allows for this first year of employment as a trainee year and therefore exempt.
As for how much do you get paid for year 1 VN or year 2 VN, well that is up to the employer. Again once you have worked for a year, you will be on mimimum wage or higher. Some employers choose to keep student nurses on the minimum wage, as they have to pay for your education, exam fees and paid time off to study in addition to holidays. Some choose to raise the salary as each year has passed as an incentive. Some may give higher/lower salaries depending on work history/experience/age ect.
Please note this is not the NHS there are no grades or entitlements, you are working for a private business, and ultimately it is up to them what they pay you.
However, as a guide a qualified nurse will be on a minimum of £14,000 and locum nurse usually earn around £10 an hour.
Hope this answers your question!
Regards
jenna
April 24, 2007 09:13AM
hi

At the moment im not doing anything to do with animals but im thinking of doing a course to become a veterinary assistant and then veterinary nurse but before i do the course i would like to know how much i would earn in both theses jobs. Just that i have my own place and at the moment i earn 11500 a year and cant really afford to earn any less than this salary.

jenna
April 24, 2007 09:24AM
Hi, Jenna,

You may get some idea from the answer to the query above.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved