VetClick Discussion Forum

what to do?

Posted by sarah_d 
what to do?
May 16, 2005 05:12PM
hi, new here!

i am at a stage in my life where i have to option to persue a new career, so i will most likely be returning to college.

i wanted to ask for advise, i have a huge passion for all animals but especially reptiles. I am interesed in doing and animal care course, but wondered what this could lead to - veterinary nurse/assistant? what other job prospects? also what sort of basic salery would i be looking at once qualified?

hope you can help, thanks in advance

sarah
Re: what to do?
August 17, 2006 08:39AM
Hi Sarah, The BTEC National or NVQ Level 3, are excellent courses. It is not all just fluffy animals, they include science and business studies as an integral part of their sylabus.

To work as a vet nurse (with a veiw to getting onto the VN course) you simply need 5 GCSE's A - C that must include maths, English and a science subject. Obviously the courses (BTEC or NVQ) are academicaliy highger than the required standards for your VN. But they are the equivalant to 2/3 A levels, so you can use them to gain entry to other courses.

But what makes them invaluable is that they gain you experience in different fields of animal care as well as a good insight into the diffent areas of work within the animal industry. Also should you change your mind and decide that this is not the job for you, you will have a qualification that you can use in other jobs.

Most veterinary practices when looking for a trainee require experience, preferably within a practice so you are in a bit of a chicken and egg situation!
So if you do the course you will have experience, and a proven acedemic ability which would make you the ideal candidate for employment!

As I have explained before, (see postings re salary queries), it is likely you will be on the minimum wage whilst your practice trains you to become a VN, a newly qualified VN will be on around £14,000 and then your world is your oyster.

You can move onto do nursing degrees and work in referal centres, you may want to become a head VN, (this is where a BTEC or NVQ would come in useful), you could go into reping for drugs or food companies. You could locum as a nurse around the world as the VN is a profession in its own right.

But really try to think of why you want to go into the industry, a vet nurse is NOT a job, it is a lifestyle, it is emotionally demanding as well as physically, there is no 9-5! But if this is truely what you want to do, you will probaly find that once qualified you wont want to do anything else.

Regards
August 30, 2006 06:57PM
HEYLO!

I did an animal care course (only level 1) and i'm now a trainee veterinary nurse! lol, so yeah, it can lead to a career.. Caple Manor is an excellent college! though i didn't do my course there i know many people who did (also VN's) as long as you've got decent GCSE's you shouldn't have a problem, just check the new restrictions 'cos they've changed since i started!!!

Rachy x_x
bvahn
October 04, 2006 07:03PM
what GCSE's do i need to pick in science to be a vet
October 05, 2006 07:57AM
Hi, bvhn,

Contact the Universities which have veterinary schools - London, Bristol, Liverpool, Cambridge,Glasgow, Edinburgh and now Nottingham and ask them. Each may have different requirments. Normally, Chemistry, Biology and Physics to A* level are required, but check.
W
Karen
Re: Vet Nursing - please help!
November 04, 2006 05:32PM
Hi, new here!

i've just completed my GCSE's and have decided to become a veterinary nurse but i am only 16 so cannot start the VN course yet. i was wondering whether there was any veterinary nurses that could give me advice on what to do now. Should i get A-Levels? Are there any colleges near herts?

Any advice/info would be greatly apprieciated!

Karen x-x
Joshua Sutton
I want to be a vet
December 31, 2006 10:40PM
I am a 16 year old lad wanting to be a vet afther i leave school. I am going to go to college but i dont know what subjects to choose to become a vet and the same in University can you help me in any way.

Thank you
Joshua Sutton
January 01, 2007 12:31AM
Hi, Joshua,

See my reply above to bvhn.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved