VetClick Discussion Forum

Veterinary nursing advice?

Posted by Charley 
Veterinary nursing advice?
May 26, 2008 04:07PM
Hi there, I know that this is probably in the wrong section, but I was really hoping that you would be able to answer a couple of my questions? I am currently at university studying english literature, however, I have recently decided that my love of animals is far to great for me to ignore my passion, and so after I graduate I wish to train as a veterinary nurse. I will be 22 when I graduate, and so I realise that I have wasted quite a lot of time, and I was wondering if this matters? I have all the necessary academic requirement to gain entry to a VNC, and over the next year I hope to gain as much experience as I can within veterinary practices and rescue centres. However, until now, the only experience that I have had with animals is looking after my own and those of friends and family. Do practices generally prefer younger student nurses? I was also wondering whether having an english literature degree will prevent me from getting a placement or a job because of the fact that it has nothing to do with veterinary science?
Thankyou in advance for any help you can give me,
Charley
Re: Veterinary nursing advice?
May 27, 2008 08:32AM
Hi, Charley,

I hope you find this after I moved it from Ask the Vet to Veterinary Students!

I do not think that your being a little older and having a degree in English will hinder your ambitions to do the VN course. They are unlikely, however, to bring you any higher pay!
Many practices would prefer to have a more mature student, and I do not think that your lack of experience with animals will adversly affect your chanmces of employment.
Contact the RCVS - www.rcvs.org.uk, (vn dept), for more information.

W
May 28, 2008 12:40PM
Thankyou very much for your help. I will definately go on that website and find out more.

Charley
Alison89
September 09, 2012 02:15PM
Hi Charley,

4 years on so I hope you find this.

I'm in exactly the same situation as yourself 4 years ago. Age 22, wanting a career change, zero experience but willing to learn. How did you get on? Do you have any advice?

Thanks
Alison
December 16, 2012 12:22PM
It could be worse, I'm 26 years old with a Fashion design degree, only two weeks experience at my local vets and wanting to become a Veterinary nurse after realising I can do it. Never listen to people who say you can't.

I don't think it matters how old you are or what other skills you have as long as you're passionate about what you want to do.

Good luck to everyone in the same situation!!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved