VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Vet Students

Posted by CH33K5 
CH33K5
March 12, 2008 10:32PM
Hi I'm Rowzi I live in Brora in the Highlands of Scotland. I am just going into fifth year of Golspie High and I need to know what subjects to choose. I want to go to Edinburgh Veterinary College and then/ or University. I have always wanted to be a Vet but I don't know what classes to take I know I have to take higher Biology, Chemistry and Physics but thats it and I don't want to miss out because I ddn't know what to choose when I was 15.

Please help me,

Lovies Cheeks (Rowzi) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
March 13, 2008 09:10AM
Hi, Rowzie,

Brora - what a lovely place to live - I envy you!

You really should have done some research into places where you can study to be a veterinary suregeon - the proper name of the Edinburgh Veterinary College is: The Royal ( Dick) School of Veterinary Studies, and is part of the University of Edinburgh.

Do not dismiss the Glasgow University Veterinary School - it too is a centre of excellence and is of world class. When the time comes, apply to both - places are limited and not always easy to get.

You are right in thinking that Highers of Chemistry, Biology and Physics ( or Maths) plus, ideally one other subject, are the ones to aim for, and A grades are desirable. At a lower level, the same four subjects plus four others, such as a modern language, English, Computer studies ( almost veterinary all practices are computerised nowadays and a knowledge of computers is invaluable) and history, geography or some other arts subject will give you a good grounding. The University entrance people look at all your exam results, not just at Highers, so a broad range of interests does help.

Contact a veterinary practice somewhere near you - you will get details of local practices from www.rcvs.org.uk - and ask if you can spend some time 'seeing practice', and plan to spend time on farms and other places where you will come into daily contact with animals.

Good luck.

W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved