VetClick Discussion Forum

Re: Vet Students

Posted by Tiffany 
Tiffany
February 04, 2008 11:26PM
Hi i am 11 years old! i know i am too young to worry about my career, but i would love to be a vet! I love animals! The thing is i read that u have to have experience, and good grades to get into a good veterinarian school. I have the good grades but i don't know how to get the experience, i have only 2 cats, and a hamster!

So the piont is how do i get the experience to become a vet?
February 05, 2008 08:56AM
Hi, Tiffany,

It is a bit early for you to start yet, but in a couple of years you should be looking to help at a horse livery stable or riding school, a boarding kennels or cattery, on a farm, or anywhere where animals are kept.
Later on, when you are 15 or 16 ask a vet if you may spend a few days in the practice.
Unfortunatly it has become more difficult for someone like you to find these opportunities because of the stupidities of current 'Health and Welfare' legislation, since the owners of these places are terrified of there being an accident with an animal and their being prosecuted and sued!

W
Sarah S.
February 27, 2008 05:03PM
Hi Tiffany,
When I was your age I was really interested in being a vet too! It'll be hard for you to get any "work experience" as such, simply because of your age. What I did was start doing the little things, like helping out for half an hour before my riding lesson or walking my neighbours' dogs. Do this and over time you'll be able to build it up, e.g. when I was 13, I began spending a few hours at my stables each week; or when you're 14/15 you can spend a week at the kennels your neighbours' dogs go to.
So for the time being, I'd keep up your interest in animals, work hard at school & develop some fun extra-curricular activities! smiling smiley
Good luck!
Sarah xx
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved