VetClick Discussion Forum

Veterinary Nursing Education Courses

Posted by Lesley 
Veterinary Nursing Education Courses
January 21, 2004 01:06PM
My name Lesley Anne White. I am extremely interested in Veterinary Nursing. I am hoping that someone may be able to advise me as to whether there are courses available that will allow me to study this subject in the evening. Can you please possibly reply to this post as to where these courses take place or where I can find help with this quest.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Re: Veterinary Nursing Education Courses
January 23, 2004 01:27AM
There are a few ways to achieve the veterinary nursing qualification however not by an evening course. The British Veterinary Nursing Association (Im not sure of the web address) will be able to advise you properly.
I qualified nearly 5 years ago and am not involved with nurse training so my information may not be 100% accurate but basically there are 2 ways to work towards the qualification.

1 - The degree route, this was not available when I started and there are mixed feelings about this route, personally I think that any way we can push the profession forward has to be a good thing. As far as I am aware, the degree is a 4 year, full time and holidays are spent 'in practice' to build on your knowledge during the term. I know that Langford (vet school) in Bristol and Middlesex University do this. Hopefully other nurses will read this and elaborate for me.

2 - The NVQ route, this involves working full time as a student nurse within a veterinary practice and attending college either on a weekly day release scheme or 3 month block. It is a 2 year course requiring you to build a portfolio (coursework) and undertaking oral/practical and written exams.

I would recommend that you try and get some work experience at your local practice to give you a better idea of what the job entails and the chance to speak to other nurses. Let us know what you decide!
March 07, 2004 05:13PM
hi

i am a 13yr! and love animals

as i am in yr9 i have my options this yr! and to be fair am struggling to chose. so i was wondering if you could give me sum advice on wat to pick or how to improve so i can make it to a vetainary nurse!

any advice and i would be very grateful!

patchy!

i love animals!
May 02, 2004 11:21AM
Ive left a message on your other thread...about it, but remembered that really your Yr 9 Options dont matter that much. You will usually need Cs and above in the sciences, maths and english language.
marc
August 07, 2006 01:43PM
May i ask if there is a need for liscense to be a veterinary nurse? tnx@!
August 07, 2006 02:08PM
Hi, Marc,
You will get all the information which you need from the Royal College of Veterinary Sugeons, web site: www.rcvs.org.uk
(If you live in the United Kingdom)
W
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved