VetClick Discussion Forum

Vet

Posted by sophiecowper 
Vet
November 29, 2007 10:54AM
Hi, I live in London and like everyone here on this website want to be a vet! Why is it so difficult to become a vet? As there are loads of applications to universities for veterinary science, why don’t more universities offer veterinary science as an option? I am in year 12 studying biology, chemistry, maths, music and ICT. Its great fun, though rather difficult at first due to the large gap from GCSE to A level, why is this the case? I have had two weeks at two different veterinary practices and in the holidays volunteer at FOAL. This year I am going to Wildlife Aid for a week. Is this enough experience? I run for the county in which most races are held on a Saturday so gaining work experience is difficult especially at abattoirs and getting big animal practice. Are there any books you would be able to recommend me and other people who want to be a vet? I am really nervous about the interview process for universities. Could you give me any tips and advice on what they could ask me? Thank you so much smiling smiley
Re: Vet
November 29, 2007 12:21PM
Hi, Sophie,

The veterinary profession in the UK is very small when compared with, for example, doctors or lawyers.
The veterinary graduates cost the most to produce - not nearly all of it covered by student fees. We cannot afford - nor would we wish - to produce veterinary surgeons who cannot get jobs. As it is, veterinary graduates from any veterinary school in the EU are entitled, under the terms of the Treaty, to be eligible for employment as a vet in the UK.
The end result is that UK University veterinary schools can select the best qualified school-leavers for admission to the veterinary course ( I note that you do not have Physics, which is essential as well as Chemistry and Biology)
If you look back on this site you will find some information about interviews at the vet schools.

W
Re: Vet
November 29, 2007 12:58PM
Where about is the interview information, could you please give the link, thanks. Physics is not necessary as long as you have chemistry and one other science. I have spoken to more than one university administration tutor about this debate. Some universities stimulate that if you take all the sciences you are very narrow minded something which they would not accept as much as if you took different subjects to broaden your horizon.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved