VetClick Discussion Forum

I'm 15. What can I do now to help become a veterinarian?

Posted by Beckyluvsguineas 
I'm 15. What can I do now to help become a veterinarian?
March 28, 2013 04:59PM
Hi,
I'm 15 and in Year 10 at Secondary School. I have always loved animals, especially my pets (guinea pigs and a cockatiel) and equines. I have also always been interested in Biology, and always wanted to become a small animal pet vet.
Being 15, I haven't started applying to colleges let alone Universities, but I was wondering what can I do now to give me the best possible chance of getting accepted into Vet school and becoming a veterinarian? I am hoping to try and get experience over my summer holidays, although most places don't allow under 16's. Should I perhaps see if I could go to a vets every evening of a weekday? Will experience now count, such as going to a vets in my summer holidays for as many weeks as possible? I was thinking of either a date log of what I did each day, or an overall review of what I saw, experienced and learned, or even a scrapbook? Or would it be best to do something like 2 weeks pet shop, 2 weeks vets? Or one week my local boarding kennels and cattery (all one place), one week pet shop, one week veterinary? Or 4 weeks veterinary! And has any vets found that carrying on to the Silver Duke of Edinburgh will help a lot to get you into vet school? (P.s. I don't mind animal experience at all- it's just finding the time and getting the perfect place and the proportions right)!

Here's what I currently do:

Grades:
I haven't sat any GCSE's yet (besides IT coursework), but I am in the top set for all of my subjects and roughly predicted A's. I'm working hard in revision and in class and think I could pull of some A*s. My most strongest subject is English, and I'm also quite strong at Biology too! I have done a exam (not a mock though) in Physics and I got an A*, and in my English controlled assessments I am reaching the top band and got full marks in one! In my mock RE GCSE I got an A, and I got a Merit in IT which I've been told is equivalent to an A apparently.

Subjects:
I'm in the top set for all of my subjects. I do Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English, Maths, PSE, RE, and my options that I picked are Spanish, Business Studies and History.

Volunteering/ work experience:
-Year 10 Work experience: Booked in at a small animal veterinary practise for 5 week days.
-Every Saturday I spend all day at a local stable, mucking out sometimes but particularly working with horses in brushing, tacking up and leading in lessons. I also have my own riding lesson at the end. I have been doing this for about a year, and continue to do this.(I do love horses)!

Extra:
I am just finishing my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award. (Physical= improving my horse riding, Volunteering= Helping out at the stables- though I have been doing this long before DofE, Skills= Learning 2 new languages). I'm also volunteering as a peer reader for year 6's after school each week, and applying to be a prefect and possibly a head girl.

Other places i.e animal rescue centres I have spent hours researching and looking into, but all either have special requirements e.g.have to be over 16, or are hours away!
Re: I'm 15. What can I do now to help become a veterinarian?
March 31, 2013 09:12AM
Hi Becky,

I can only repeat what I have said to Rhiannon, which is work as hard as you can at your subjects. You have to aim for Science and Maths at top grades at GCSE and A level. Animal related work experience is helpful when you can get it but from my experience in practice there is always a queue of people wishing to spend more time at a vets and you would be very lucky to secure a long term placement with one for the holidays or any other period of time. Make sure your school know that you want a veterinary/animal related longer work experience and see if they can help support any application for that. D of E awards are an indication of your resourcefulness and I believe are character building but still the most important factors in selection for all Vet Schools are good academic grades, with as much practical animal experience as possible. Good luck.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Suzeeeee
Work Experience for 14 year old
February 16, 2016 11:12AM
Can anyone advise if it is possible to obtain work experience for a 14 year old (will be weeks away from 15 in July 2016) with animals? It seems impossible. It's only for one week in July 2016 ie the taster work experience that students undertake before starting their GCSEs.

Many thanks in advance smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved