VetClick Discussion Forum

Work Placement advice

Posted by esiella93 
Work Placement advice
November 01, 2012 01:15PM
Hello, I have got my first work placement in a Veterinary clinic coming up and I am a bit nervous. I can imagine I will just be cleaning stuff and observing but I really want to make a good impression as I would like to apply to be a student vet nurse at this clinic next year.

Can anyone give me a heads up?
Re: Work Placement advice
November 03, 2012 05:06PM
Hello

On a work placement it is likely that at first you would only be allowed to observe rather than actually doing anything and you are right, cleaning up after pets and their treatments takes up lots of time in a veterinary clinic. My advice would be to watch what is happening closely and try to pick up how tasks are being done. Most work experience students feel a bit nervous at first, staff usually expect that. When you feel a bit more confident you could offer to help, starting with just minor tasks. That is always appreciated and will create the good impression that you want to. Ask questions appropriately, stay interested in what is happening and follow any instructions you are given carefully. Then you are likely to be allowed to gradually get more involved and they are more likely to offer you that student place as well.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
January 08, 2013 04:45PM
Um, when is thr right time or age to start work expereance? And any ideas on what to do/where to go?
Thanks,
Meg
January 29, 2013 08:59PM
Hi Meg

I presume you are still at school and your school should be guiding you about work experience which is usually undertaken when pupils are in year 10 or 11, via a work experience scheme. Many vets take part in such schemes and offer work experience placements to schools and colleges.

Cathy Wickenden BVet Med MRCVS
Barton Lodge Veterinary Centre
1 Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 5BH
Tel: 01442 216048 24 hours
[www.bartonlodgevets.co.uk]
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved