VetClick Discussion Forum

Work Experience

Posted by Heather123 
Heather123
Work Experience
August 02, 2011 02:35PM
I was just wondering how much work experience people have done when they apply to study veterinary science/ medicine?
I will have:
4 weeks work experience in a vets- in 3 different veterinary practices
2 weeks work experience on a dairy farm
1 week lambing on a sheep farm
1.5 weeks volunteering at the Unicorn Centre Riding for the Disabled
6 weeks work experience at a leisure farm containing a variety of animals: chinchillas, rabbits, owls, gerbils, guinea pigs, chicks, peacocks, donkeys, rare breed pigs, sheep, chickens, ducks, turkeys, cows, wallabies, alpacas, bees, horses and llamas.
10 years experience with horses, several years spent looking after other people's horses for them.
3 days work experience at a place offering Canine Hydrotherapy.

Is this enough? Should I look into doing placements at the following places:
Farrier?
Owl sanctuary?
Physiotherapy (horses and dogs)?
Pigs?
Wildlife sanctuary?
Kennels and cattery?
If so for how long ?

I would be very grateful for any advice, thank you smiling smiley
Amy
Re: Work Experience
October 04, 2011 08:36AM
You can never have enough work experience! What you've got at the moment is fantastic, but keep going cos it will only make your application stronger. If I were you I'd get more work at a vets, and look into all you've mentioned above as they like volume but also variety. Try and find an abbatoir near you, they like to see just how much you can cope with!
Emma
Re: Work Experience
December 06, 2011 09:53PM
some universities would like you to have visited an abattoir (where they slaughter animals for meat) at least once
hope i helped smiling smiley
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved