VetClick Discussion Forum

Options available to become a VN

Posted by CatherineM 
Options available to become a VN
June 13, 2011 11:02PM
Hello

My daughter is 14 years old and has decided to pursue her career into Vet Nursing when she leaves school in 2012. So far she has received information booklets from College's in the Kent area.

The options available to her seem very vast and i wonder if there is a student VN who would be able to assist at all.

Just for some background knowledge, my daughter has spent all of her life with animals (gerbils, cats, dogs deer, rabbits, horses) and is very apt at handling any animal. She rides horses on a weekly basis and also volunteers at her local riding stables every Sunday.

Sadly she missed out on her work experience at school due to a medical condition so she has no actual work experience in a vets surgery.

What i can gather from information from Hadlow college is that a Level 3 Diploma in Vet Nursing will be required and should the GCSE's results not be adequate then a Level 2 can be taken. My daughter may well not receive the grades she would need as her illness disrupted her education for 2 years.

However we are very confused over the work experience section/employment section and although we will be attending an Open Day at the College in September of this year i wish to know if my daughter should be find a trainee place now.

From the threads i have read so far it would appear that these trainee places are very difficult to get.

If there is anyone out there who has had actual knowledge about the process that is required i would be most grateful. There is also an Animal Management course Level 2 and 3 at this college but am unsure of this option.

My main concern is that she will apply for one of these courses and then be unable to take it up because she does not have the relevant experience or trainee placement. How does this work?
I am also thinking that she should be requesting volunteer work in a vets surgery. However i also read that vets are very reluctant to take on students until they are 16 (health and safety i am guessing).

Many thanks in advance for any assistance given.
X
Re: Options available to become a VN
June 16, 2011 08:06AM
The veterinary nursing department of the RCVS (rcvs.org) and the BVNA should be able to help you
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved