VetClick Discussion Forum

Qualifications needed to become a vet?

Posted by Alina 
Alina
Qualifications needed to become a vet?
March 31, 2011 06:09PM
Hello,
I am currently studying my A-levels in year 13 and have applied for Bioveterinary Sciences at university starting in September. Currently my AS grades stand at:

A in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in Philosophy and
high C in Physics

my predicted grades for my overall A-levels are:

A* in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in Philosophy and
B in Physics

I achieved A's at GCSE except sciences which I got an A* in. Unfortunately I didn't apply for Veterinary Medicine as I didn't believe my A-level grades would be at all good enough, although I did 3 weeks work experience (1 week in a lab and 2 weeks working in a stables) just incase. I am now regretting not applying for at least one Veterinary Medicine course. After taking some advice from my teachers, I was told to try my best at Bioveterinary Sciences and after that decide whether or not to pursue Veterinary Medicine through Graduate entry. I know that this is very competitive and I was wondering whether I would be rejected straight away because my Physics A-level isn't an A and because I haven't got many A*'s at GCSE? Also, I was wondering how to make myself stand out compared to other candidates. I know I'm thinking several years ahead of myself, but I just want to be as prepared as possible as being in a Veterinary related career is really the only thing I can see myself doing and the only thing I am truly passionate about. Does paid work stand out on an appilcation form, and should I think about taking a few years out before applying for Graduate entry to get some?

On an unrelated note, does anybody know of any Veterinary practices in Central/South East London that could take me for a work placement for 1-2 weeks?

Thanks in advance for all your help (sorry my question is so long!)
Re: Qualifications needed to become a vet?
June 20, 2011 09:43AM
Really you'll find a lot of competition in veterinary medicine. But still if you want a career in veterinary only, then you can go for veterinary technician course. Animal lovers get satisfaction in this field also. Veterinary technician perform various medical tests and treat and diagnose medical conditions and diseases in animals. The best part is becoming a vet tech is also easy. You need only a 2-years program in veterinary technician to get into this occupation. Veterinary technician course is also available online that to in various accredited universities. These universities have provisions for scholarship as well as financial aid also which may lower your cost of studies to minimum. You can go through the following site which is having all information. [veterinariantechnician.org]

I hope you'll find some help from the above information and would be able to choose an appropriate career for yourself.

Thanks
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

All material on this website © Copyright VetClick (UK) Ltd 2000 - 2024 All rights reserved